Glimmer chenille = Ice/Cactus chenille?

Shoemoo

Sportsmans Warehouse sells some chenilles that I swear look just like ice or cactus chenille at about 1/3rd the price. The brand name is Troutsmen Enterprises, and it's labeled as glimmer chenille. The funny thing is, they sell Estaz and ice chenille as well, and I can't tell the difference looking at the package. I don't use much ice/cactus chenille, but what I do use is mostly palmered over a fuzzier chenille.

Has anyone ever used this stuff? How does it compare?

crappiecripplerjigs

I would guess probably not much difference other than price. Estaz around here is very expensive. Ice chenille seems to fall apart easily. Maybe the way I am using it though with the bear paws! I would like to see the palmered over fuzzy as well.

Radtexan

Havent seen any sportsman warehouse stuff,but I agree on the ice/cactus...Not a fan for chenille body tying..Might hide some of the voids if palmering....

Shoemoo

Nothing exciting about my palmering method. I just palmer it like hackle. Once the jig is finished, I comb out the trapped fibers using an eyelash brush I got in a $5 cosmetics kit.

I figured what the hell and bought a packet of each of the colors they had in stock. I can always return the unused stuff if it doesn't work out, and for $1.29 I'm not out a lot. You get two yards per package. Not bad for buying chenille at a retail store.

2011-12-01_21-20-01_768.jpg

2011-12-01_19-21-19_219.jpg

There's also a pearl color, which I forgot to take a picture of in the package. Here it is on some jigs. All are 1/16 ounce with size 4 sickle hooks.

Pearl over pink and pearl by itself:

whiteoverpink.jpg

glimmeronly.jpg

Purple over fluorescent red (which is really more pink) and by itself:

purpleoverred.jpg

glimmerpurple.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That looks good to me! Price is not bad at all if the quality is good... i usualy pay $3.50 for 3 yds of cactus. I seldom use it by itself, but do use it often twisted together with other colors of regular chenille before you wrap the body. You can make you own custom colors that look like the fancy new age stuff. The pearl twisted with anything is :cool:

For $8 you got a nice color selection!

Lost Pole

I have pink, pearl n purple. I try to just mix it , but did tie one last night with the pink n pearl twisted while playing. I always trim it, but it never looks very uniform.

a6890e43-fc96-800e.jpg

Shoemoo

Decided to try the twisting method, and here are the results. I used medium chenille to tie the top one first, but I didn't like how fat it made the body look. I used small to tie the second and thought the results looked much better. In both cases, the body is plain black nylon with the green/gold glimmer chenille in the above pic.

twistsizecomparison.jpg

BucktailJiger

I seen that stuff at our semi-local Sportsmans Warehouse , it was nice looking and had a lot of choices to choose from .

Back