Glider Jig

Uncle Grump

I've been doing some pouring recently - trying out some new molds, and a few used ones from a batch of molds I bought off of John Broughton (Crappie Killer 3) right before he died a few years back...

One of the used molds in the batch was for a "Glider Jig" - the mold model number JV-5-A - made back when DO-IT was located on Logan Ave in Waterloo IA.

Here are a couple of pictures....

View attachment 1

This jig is 3/8 oz, w/ a 2/0 570 hook. The top is tapered at about a 30 degree angle, while the underside is rounded and oblong. Note the ball collar.

I've been searching Google for info on this jig/mold, but the only hits I've gotten are from guys looking for this mold. 

I tried calling DO-IT to see if they could tell me anything about its history, but the lady I talked to complained about how busy they were, so I let it go. :(

Any of you fished this jig, know any thing about it - target species - anything....???

Thanks

UG

Attachments

• 0322170718b.jpg
    0322170718b.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 0322170720c.jpg
    0322170720c.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 158

bucktail

Looks like a older walleye style or egg style head that has been moded,we use a very similar style here in Central NY
for walleye(walleye head without the recess eyes),nice jig for sure and a mold I would also love to have in my collection,
what's the numbers on the side of the mold?
That's not the glider /model number you have in the post?
Has it been moded ?

Uncle Grump

Bucktail

My newer molds all have a 4 character number on the handles - this one has none. The only identification I find on it is what is "plate" sides - the info I put in my original post. I don't think the mole has been modified in any way. I will try to take some additional pics of the mold.

It's possible I copied the mold model wrong....maybe JG-5-A? I will check....

I was thinking walleye myself - the shape seems so odd though - and there are all ready several good walleye jigs.

UG

bucktail

I tried a search on both model numbers as well and came with nothing specific for either one
it's before our time...lol
there is only on more option,the only thing I know that knows more than Google ,but she doesn't get out of work till midnight  :rolleyes:  :D

hookup

This kinda looks like it's close 

DO-IT JW-7-A2 Walleye Jig Mold

DO-IT-1071_media-1.png

bucktail

Thing that has me is where the eye of the hook is centered of the head,why I'm leaning toward the first egg style mold they produced ,now it has been made by a cnc and perfected for mass production

duffy

The way the mass is forward the eye and mostly below and being a 3/8 oz I'm guessing it could be an early type of walleye type jig.  Would think with bait on the back it should glide or swim along instead of dropping straight down. We've seen many types/styles of gliding jigs and maybe it didn't work well but if guys are looking for it maybe it did.

Uncle Grump

I err'ed on my stating the size of the jig I posted - saying it was 3/8 oz. It's actually 1/4 oz. The mold will make 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 oz heads. The mold model number is correct - it is JV-5-A. 

Here are some additional pics....

View attachment 2

View attachment 3

View attachment 4

View attachment 5

Nothing I see suggests that it was modified. I am going to try hitting Do-It customer service again - sending them a email - maybe I'll get lucky this time.

UG

Attachments

• 0328172107.jpg
    0328172107.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 0328172107a.jpg
    0328172107a.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 0328172108.jpg
    0328172108.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 85
  • 0328172108a.jpg
    0328172108a.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 84

Uncle Grump

This is the response I got from Do-it......

This mold is no longer on production. This is a very old mold that could be used for Walleye or other game fish. We don't really have a mold like that
one anymore. Maybe our darter jig but that is about it.

I guess we'll never know, unless some has an old catalog, or has used it....

Will have to try it out, and see what it will do.

UG

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe that LedHed does not have the detail for this mold...... more surprised he doesn't own one or 2 as well. Kind of an interesting shape with the flattop. Cool find.

I still have a few jigs that John custom poured for me. Nothing special, some lightweight heads on 2X long shank hooks. I put his name on them and set them aside. I do have a couple of his tied jigs in my river smallie box still. I used to fish them pretty often when the river was low enough to wade out and retrieve them if they got hung up.

Back