'Gills and 'Crackers 10/10/15

PanfishHunter

My good buddy and I went to a neighborhood lake in town that holds a variety of sunfish, bass, and crappie.

Bottom content is relatively gravelly with a bit of vegetation. This lake doesn't get too much pressure since it is private for the property owners in the neighborhood. The sunnies and bass grow very large.

We caught most of these on a drop shot rig with redworms, cast out into about 6' of water and let sit, almost like catfishing. A few were caught on a small jig with redworm on it dropped off the dock.

Big fish of the trip, and my personal best, was this redear that measured at just over 10" I thought i had a bass on, the way he fought. I estimated him at about a pound, give or take.

I edited the picture of the big fish in my photoshop class that i'm taking. Not too bad for a first try, I'd think
View attachment 3View attachment 4

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 48
  • redear.jpg
    redear.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 70

PanfishHunter

yessir, we take most of the ones we catch, even the small ones, as they're excellent catfish bait.

They have plentiful food source, as there are many many shad and minnows in this lake. The population of all speces of fish grow pretty large

GrampsJigs

Always a place in my heart for Bluegills. They have made many a wonderful memory of good fishing days. I never worry about taking them out. Populations need to be controlled or all we will get are tiny ones............

PanfishHunter

We do practice catch and release most of the time. I won't need to take any out of the lake in a while, as this will be enough for our next catfish trip, which won't be anytime soon due to deer season. All the 'perch' catching for a few months will be catch and release. That is, of course if i don't get a craving lol

Back