Gapen Bait Walker

Uncle Grump

Any one ever stumbled across a mold for one of these?

Have a "jig fishing" book written in the '80s which indicated molds were available (at that time), but I've never seen one. Searched w/ Google, came up w/ nothing but pics of the 'device' itself.

I am toying w/ the idea of taking a spinner bait mold and hacking on it w/ a Dremel to come up w/ something similar (basicly a hookless spinner bait).

Thks

UG

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Googles the Gapen's. You are wanting a bottom bouncer setup that does not have the wire out the back?

Not sure what weight you are looking for but the Gapen's things look a lot like the do-it crescent sinkers. That mold looks like it might be very easy to extend a line out through the eyelet for wire. You would be stuck with only one use for the mold though...... weight. If you mod a spinner bait mold, assuming you could still use it to create spinners too.

Don't mind me, just random thoughts from someone who doesn't even play with molten metal. ;)

Uncle Grump

Russ

Had the crescent mold thought too - so great minds think alike.

I fished w/ the Bait Walkers alot years back - used them to tow a spinner/Lindy rig (weightless) - usually w/ a hunk of 'crawler. Got a lot of fish - mainly pannies and Northern Pike - surprising - as you'd expect NP to be more minnow oriented.

Not sure this idea is completely practical - might be cheaper to buy them, if I can find any - might take alot of them to re-coup the investment in a mold, etc. Searched Amazon - no joy, all though Amazon has a booklet published by Gapen way back when they were new on the market.

UG

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
They have their own website....... The Gapen Company .........and have the bait walkers there. Some with spinners and some without. I've never come across their site before and looked around a little. The smaller size ones (1/4) would be nice out the back of my kayak in some of the deeper lakes i paddle in. The weightless Lindy rigs (along with traditional worm harnesses used on bottom bouncers) are pretty popular around here for walleye.

They have some interesting jig styles also. If i didn't know better, i might think i know where the recent up swing in using the tail spin type jigs started. I know that the Slider company always sold them, but see them a lot in the past few years.

Uncle Grump

"their own website..."

Duh!!! my failure....Gapen products in the local stores, but not the Bait Walker....

Thks

UG

LedHed

Sponsor
Not sure if Do-it still makes this mold but it may help;

Walking Sinker
WS-10-A
1/8 to 1-1/2 10 cavities

Back