Fun Times with Lead, Dremel Tools and JB Weld

Missionjigs

My Poison Tail free swing'n hook jig heads I call it my "scorpion jig" This will wreck the nerves thinking about failure on a perfectly good mold. Lots of dremel time on the mold and patience with JB weld. :beat-up:
View attachment 3
View attachment 7

Attachments

• 1959971_236576876529136_827222666_n.jpg
    1959971_236576876529136_827222666_n.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 020614130901.jpg
    020614130901.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 147

Missionjigs

It took me a long time to consider modifying mine, now just about every mold I have has some type of mod done to it. When I first joined the Air Force I drilled holes in $30 million dollar aircraft so I remembered those nervous days and took my time on the molds. Good thing JB weld works well on molds........and aircraft.

Bucko

I wrecked a mold trying to do the same jig you did. My problem is patience, I have none. Only successfully modded one mold. From now on I'll either wait until someone produces a mold that I want or hire someone to mod out for me...... Hint hint wink wink.... Very cool job on yours though, congrats!

Missionjigs

Bucko said:
I wrecked a mold trying to do the same jig you did. My problem is patience, I have none. Only successfully modded one mold. From now on I'll either wait until someone produces a mold that I want or hire someone to mod out for me...... Hint hint wink wink.... Very cool job on yours though, congrats!

I don't mind to help out if needed, and it would not be hiring when it's done for free.:D
I'll post a pic here in a bit, gotta go pick my daughter up.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those look very interesting. How do you dress them out to fish...... rubber skirt on the lead collar and then a plastic as the trailer?

JUNGLEJIM1

Very nice job on the mold modification. I have the mold but won't even try to modify it. Also have the football swing jig mold which is my favorite for soft plastics. The Poison tail is really versatile with both plastics and tied jigs.

hookup

I'm w/ you Mission, I have modified about 80% of molds to suit my needs.

And the one time I did screw up, JB mold fixed it.

Nice job on the jigs.

Missionjigs

Bucko said:
Did you mod it to use the same inserts that the football swing jig uses?

No, I use the open eye straight wire shafts and form them by hand to fit in the mold and to secure the hook. It is not a fast process but the results are wicked in the water/ brush and make it worth the time.
View attachment 6

Attachments

• 430188.jpg
    430188.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 96

Missionjigs

AtticaFish said:
Those look very interesting. How do you dress them out to fish...... rubber skirt on the lead collar and then a plastic as the trailer?

I hand tie the skirts then I use a trailer like the Missile Craw or Craw D'oeuvre. It is the most weedless jig I have ever seen, and it has an action on the fall like no other jig I have seen......it snakes thru the brush and has a glide to it instead of falling like a rock.

Bucho

Very Nice work!

I use articulated fly shanks, plug screws and ope eye siwash hooks since I don´t have to care much about snags in the open water. Its more a matter of better hookups, better lure action and less fouling of long soft material and it requires only minimal mold moding.

Apart from caving out eye-holes for horizontal wire eyes and making extra space for different hook sizes, I leave the moding to the pros. Just got another Shad dart mold to the engraver to get them done USD.

Back