Fresh out of the oven

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Figured i better get painting something for the swap. :D While i was at it, i cured off the rest of my odd-ball heads that had been hanging.

First pic is a few 1/4 heads for bass and walleye. The mold is supposed to have a triangle barb as well, but with leaving only the ball barb they work for either tying or plastics.

View attachment 5

These are just some one offs that were painted between other projects.

View attachment 4

Can't forget the swap paints! Now i just have to tie them. :jig:

View attachment 3

Attachments

• 100_8757_e.jpg
    100_8757_e.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_8758_e.jpg
    100_8758_e.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_8760_e.jpg
    100_8760_e.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 146

Jig Man

Dude you are gettin the paint deal down pat. The ball barb make for some good thread bodies.

Lost Pole

Waaaay impressive as always. A couple of those in the first snapshot have me baffled too. Awesome work Russ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookup

Pink & black ones caught my eye too. Can't wait to see them with a 'dress' on

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the positive comments. :) The pink ones actually have a color on the top that is somewhere between black and purple. Is a mixture of candy purple, black, smoke and mica pearl powder with silver holographic glitter. The pink has a heavy mix of pearl powder in it as well.

Got the last of a pile of simple color jigs painted and cured for a friend. This was supposed to be a winter project....... but slow me ran it into an 'almost done almost be spring' project. :blush: He knows how slow i am though, so no harm done i hope. Pulled a small pile of each of the colors out to take a picture.

Black with silver holo glitter.......
View attachment 8

Candy red with silver holo glitter over tin heads.....
View attachment 9

Candy gold with silver holo glitter (medium size) over tin dart heads.....

Attachments

• 100_8773_e.jpg
    100_8773_e.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 100_8775_e.jpg
    100_8775_e.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_8778_e.jpg
    100_8778_e.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 45

plateboater

The new gopro is $130!! Waiting for you to post on YouTube! How are you getting that gold to stand out. what is the base coat and where is the gold from? Trying to do something similar for brass.

Fantastic work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
These were pretty simple single or double dips then tap to add on the glitter/clear mix. The red and gold are just the candy colors that Jann's offers. I think the key for the gold darts is that they are tin heads and actually the shape. They have a lot of surface area on the side that reflects the light off the tin more than what comes off the curved edge of a round head.

When working with the candy colors, watch the temp of the heads, if they are too hot then a lot of paint goes on quick and they get dark. The golds were double dipped..... 1st time with the temp still low and then back over the heat. Watch it close until the thin layer of paint that stuck just starts to gloss over - then do the 2nd dip.

The candy colors seem to be finicky with the cure process, or at least more so than other opaque colors. I had to re-cure a batch of the red and gold 3 times before i got it right. Kept bumping up the heat a little for the final 15 minute cure until they were solid. I test a couple heads from each batch with a knife blade to make sure they do not chip easily.

Back