Fly Bob

Fatman

Led - I've checked with a whole bunch of people on this and so far no go - which is tough because some of them are collectors and they've never seen one so I'd be holding on to it for sure. Checking one more place and I'll post either way what I find out.

Pup

I'd speculate about its operation as a bobbin, but not after viewing the internals from above... ;)

Thank you for sharing this LedHed. :cool:

LedHed

Sponsor
Pup - think you are right about being a bobbin. A spool of thread will fit inside. The opening on the side might be a way to add tension with your thumb....

Somebody said that the table clamp device could be a holder.

Fatman

Guys nothing!!!!!! Some think may be a holdder for the thread back when they didn't use bobbins - in fly Tying Helen Shaw and a little rubber grommet mounted on the edge of the table when she needed to get something for a fly the tying thread was stuck in it.

Waitin on one more answer.

toadfrog

Are any of the pieces plastic , internally I mean . I think you are going to have to look quite a ways back in time . I'm thinking an Orvis product.

Pup

I see a bobbin threader provided in the drawing. Wonder if that tool was part of the patent? Ergo, patented too.

Great stuff Guys. :cool:

Fatman

Got an email from a guy saying that it might be "A bobbin that could have been used in the making of fishing rods" - I've never made a fishing rod before but used my regular fly tying bobbin to control the thread to fix an eye, but I dont' know.

LedHed

Sponsor
Fm - check out link on AF's post #12

Hand Operated Thread Dispensing Device

Inventor: Naomi C. Beverino
Patent number: 2798681
Filing date: Jul 26, 1954
Issue date: Jul 9, 1957

“device adapted for use in conjunction with the tying of fish flies, or the like, or in other situations requiring the winding of thread about an object and wherein suitable tension must be maintained upon the thread”

Don't look up fly tying vises on that link!!! Was supposed to be tying - instead of surfing! Thnx Russ!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
LedHed said:
Don't look up fly tying vises on that link!!! Was supposed to be tying - instead of surfing! Thnx Russ!...

Haha - kind of thought you might get stuck there. Try just typing in 'fishing jig' or 'fishing lure' or just 'fishing'. You can sort them also by oldest to newest or vise versa. Some crazy inventions and some other that really make a person think what they could change to make it just a little better. :D

Back