Fly blank for crappie jigging pole

SlabHappy

I am thinking of building me another 9' crappie jigging pole, and investigating using a fly blank. Does anyone have any experience using fly blanks as crappie jig rods, and what line weight blank would be best. My first 9' pole is a MHX-1081 steelhead blank. It is a sweet rod, but a little too much of a moderate action, getting more bend of the rod than I like. I like jigging with a casting reel in my left hand, spinning in my right, and the moderate/fast action of the MHX-1081 makes it hard to keep tension on a fish while I am putting the other rod down. Was thinking of using the MHX-1083F steelhead blank, which has a x-fast action, but curious if maybe a 9' 2 piece flyblank would be a good choice. I am going to use it with a spinning reel, and 6-8 lb line to vertical jig, usually with 2 jigs stacked, as light as I can get away with the wind.

papaperch

I had Jawbreaker make me three custom rods over the last few years. Had 2 spinning rods built on 6-6 " 2wt fly rod blanks.

This year I had him make me a baitcasting rod using same blank. The two spinning rods have performed top notch. The baitcaster broke ( all my fault ) . Encased it in a rod sleeve and it was picked up by wind going into trailered boat. Got home to discover it was broken by flapping around. Going to put new tip on it myself. Just wish I had my younger eyes back for awhile. Used to make really sharp rods myself until Father Time did a number on me.

The lighter fly blanks do make awesome jigging rods. All the fish feel like " baby " whales. Which is why I had them built on such light blanks. One drawback is you have to be careful how you handle them. They can be awful fragile if grabbed in the middle . I don't mind having to be that careful as they add so much to the game.

Now I was informed that use the WT rating of the rod as 1/16 ounce lure rate. In other words my 2wt would work best with 1/8 oz lures or smaller. A 4WT rating would work with 1/4 oz lure or under. Don't know if exactly right but seems to work. When blank is used for a spinning rod.

SlabHappy

Thanks Papaperch. I heard that 1/16 rule, but didn't exactly understand how they were refering to it. For this rod I am building I was debating on using a fly blank, but decided on a MHX med light 9'6" steelhead blank, I think 1142? Built a 9' on the MHX-1081 and it is one good rod, just wish it had a little faster action. I vertical jig most of the time with the lightest jigs I can get away with. Usually some combo of two 1/24, 1/32, and 1/48 jigs.
I had that same fear of the rod socks on trailored boats. I left the sock on my 9' while trailored and it flapped in the wind too much. I lost one sock last trip off my 7', that blew off.

papaperch

Picked up two Daiwa Pixy reels. Gonna bring the old eyes out of retirement for two special baitcaster rods. Both are going to be built on 3 wt 2pc fly rod blanks one is a 9' the other is an 8'. Both are Matrix blanks that are on a clearance special.

One of the Pixies is red and the other is silver. Going to match thread and trim around color of reel. Guides will be single feet and of the micro variety. These outfits are going to be used to " pull " jigs and plastics with the I-Pilot. Will also use as " dead stick rods " when still fishing.

Will post pix when done but hopefully my old eyes will pull together to get some decent looking wraps.

Back