Fishing

hhawkins

A few weeks ago before it got ungodly hot, can't breath in the air weather, a friend, my boyfriend and I went down to Leadhill, Arkansas to do some catfishing. We left early enough the first evening, just as the sun was just hanging above sunset. I took my chair, both rods (one with just a worm and bobber) and sat at the banks edge. Got that worm in the water and I had put together a1/4 oz. white jighead with a pink slider with a gold speckled tail. Tosed that slider out in the water a few times (never got a bite on my worm), I was reeling in that slider on about the 10th toss and came back with a little black crappie. Poor thing was so little I barely got my tumb in his mouth to get the hook out. :bigfish: That little black crappie was the only thing I caught that night. The catfish were strring but I had no takers :dodgy: Next couple of nights went back out to Leadhill again to do some more catfishing. Left early from the house again to do some walleye fishing (they were moving through the area -I LOVE WALLEYE- Tossed out my red and white panther, something hit it hard, all I got was a glimps of a yellow bellie before I lost my Panther to the fish. That was a my favorite Panther too. So got mad, Changed up to a leader and a circle hook baited on a worm and for extra measures a minnow. Threw that back out in the water, no sooner that hit the water another fish hit but didn't get hooked. This happened serveral times, I was beginning to think I was in open cafe. Last time before doing some catfishing, one more toss, my bait sat out for a few minutes, BAM, hit again, this time got a good hook into it. The fish hit hard enough it wrenched my wrist, but I wasn't going to let it get away. After a short battle, got the fish close enough to the bank to see that it was a 3 foot gar :mad: DANG THING! :dodgy: I don't know about anybody else and I'm sorry if I make anyone mad, but gar are a no good fish to me. We killed and sent it back to feed the other fish that would enjoy him. You know we didn't catch any other fish that night, to mant gar in the water :s

sloedown

You may not believe this but some of the best crappie fishing I have ever done was with gar all around...Dunno why this was but Ragged Edge will back me up on this...We were fishing in the same boat...Go fiqure............

ragged edge

sloedown said:
You may not believe this but some of the best crappie fishing I have ever done was with gar all around...Dunno why this was but Ragged Edge will back me up on this...We were fishing in the same boat...Go fiqure............True story! We tore the crappie up...........

ScottV

I caught a gar while trolling crankbaits for crappie a few days ago. The line was tangled in his teeth about 3 ft ahead of the crankbait. We got him beside the boat and grabbed the crankbait and the line broke. At least I didn't loose the crankbait.

Back