Fish Skulls and Misc.

papaperch

skulls.jpg

The three on right are tied with " Fish Skulls " a new product for me. They are machined out of aluminum and come in Large , Med and small. These are the small sizes on three different style #4 hooks.

The other seven are are variations of a pattern I like. Used rabbit ,duck , peacock herl, even some FTD hair ( fly tyers dungeon ).

Some have a red yarn underneath and some have a small section of red chenille to accent the throat. Also used grey and clear ice flash for translucent effect along with mono thread.

Hopefully the fish will like them as much as I do:D

jjsjigs

Banned
Those fish skulls have been touted in just about all the major Flyfishing mags/rags in the last 3 months. "as the latest and greatest" tying thing. I gotta ask... are they cool? Cause if you like tying on them... I'll have to go out and try a pack. So, basically, inquiring minds want to know!

Pup

The minnow heads look good for float-n-fly fishing. Smallmouth bass in my local river would strike those readily.

Those Fish Skulls look useful for tying casting jigs using a variety of hook styles. Nice ties. :cool:

toadfrog

Pretty darn cool . I don't get out much, haven't seen the fish skulls before. Who sells them.

papaperch

Fish skulls are available thru most major fly tying shops. I really don't know how they will fish as these are the first ones I worked with. Most of what I read about them came from salt water tyers and fishermen.

They are nice to work with and easy to experiment with. I got mine for 4.95 a pack. But I have seen them as high as 7.95. I think there were 12 in a pack for the small ones. Pretty expensive either way but I just had to try them.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen some pics of the skull head flies - been thinking i may have to break down and get some. They come in sm, med & large and are aluminum..... lightweight. Do they list a weight for them - if not, any guess on a weight? I guess, i am wondering if they would be castable on UL spinning gear or more for the FR. I like the idea of a mix/match hook option to them also.

Back