First Smallie of the year!

AllenOK

Got out for a bit today after the madness at work.  Was using my little UL rig with a small inline spinner.  Fishing a crystal-clear stream that's only a couple feet deep.  Lots of laydowns in the water, including a new one this past winter.  Had a brief tussle with a Smallie that spit my lure.  Moved about 15' further downstream, just past the new laydown, popped off a cast, and BAM!  Caught this one.  Possibly the same fish, but I'm not sure.

View attachment 5

Bass fishing in Michigan is "Catch and Immediate Release" right now, so this fish was released shortly after the pic was captured.  At least I can fish for them.  Some parts of the state you can't use certain lures right now, as some species are completely closed to fishing while they are spawning.

Attachments

• 20190421Smallie.jpg
    20190421Smallie.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 1

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those smallies are sure fun to catch. Glad you got out. It was a nice day here on Sunday but Saturday was nasty!

AllenOK

AF, they are fun, that's for sure. This one fought like crazy, and tried to abrade my line on some sticks a couple times. Luckily I got the fish in. Saturday was nasty, luckily I had to work all day. Sunday and Monday were great, although Monday was windy.

duffy

They sure are fun to catch and tasty too when you can keep them. I've had some take on a floating Rapala that was almost as big as they were. Sounds like your F&G dept. is at least trying to promote them, our's seems to think they are a nuisance. All they are interested in are trout and salmon.

Back