First rod build

New River Rat

This rod has been out three times now and she is great! This is my first build and it was designed to throw, what else? Jigs! Most sensitive rod I have ever fished.

I ordered a high modulus HM-MB843-MHX from Mudhole, some American Tackle Nanolite guides, super grade cork and still came in $60 cheaper than DRs quote using a lesser grade blank. This blank is comparable to a G Loomis GLX.

This is a split grip, skeletal reel seat and with spiral wrap guides.

Firdtrodbuild2013001.jpg

Firdtrodbuild2013003.jpg

Firdtrodbuild2013005.jpg

Firdtrodbuild2013008.jpg

Radtexan

Looks like a nice one.....Better watch out you'll be into all those special wraps and skins and patterns before ya know it...

redman

Good looking rod you got there. Sure that it will throw a jig right on top of a big bunch of nice fat Slabs. Building one yourself sure does cut the cost. Way cool

Redman

New River Rat

StumpHunter said:
That is nice. What does the spiral wrapped guides do for a rod, never seen a rod with spiral eyes.

Baitcasting rods (with guides on top) have a natural tendency to torque, trying to turn the tip guide downward. Something a spinning rod has over a baitcaster is the fact the guides are on the bottom. A baitcaster has more guides to keep the line off the blank; a spinning rod uses fewer because it doesn’t need to keep the line off the blank. After using a spinning rod as a preferred method for a lot of years, this is perfectly understandable.

At some point, the light bulb went off and someone decided the best attributes of a baitcaster (distance, accuracy, power to winch a fish) combined with the attributes of a spinning rod (less guides, less weight, more sensitivity because less weight, no torque while fighting a fish) was a match made in heaven.

I have several fishing buddies that build rods and almost to a man, everyone prefers this spiral design. I have on rod that is paired with a Shimano Curado E50, spooled with 20# Power Pro that will throw a wacky rigged Magic Stik a country mile.

RadTexan, there is NO danger of ever seeing me use any rod with bling on it. Added weight=<sensitivity.

osagejoe

that is a good looking roberts wrap it has been 16 years since i built one with that wrap.:)

Back