first hours of zander season

Bucho

This year I couldn`t wait and opened the season (June 1th) at 0:00h. Those are cm. ;)  Got another one that was a bit smaller. Nice opening. Things will get more hairy later into the summer when the fry overwhelmes the fish so I make the most out of June.  

32852320lg.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful clean looking fish! Perfect eating size too. You hit the water at the right time i would say. Love that big eye bait you have there.

With water temps over here almost at summer time levels (it got warm fast) i'm just about done fishing my walleye holes until the fall. The good places just get way too many people once the weather turns nice. Good luck and hope to see you hit the 70cm mark!

Bucho

Thanks!

Weather is freaking me out over here. March had more frost than january (or most winters in the 90ties combined) while may had more heat days than a good august (or most summers in the 90ties combined for that matter).

"Spring" was reduced to a fortnight in april. Its really weird. Middle Germany is flooded by standing thunder storms while the north hasn`t seen rain in a month or two - which is nice after 4 months of continuous rain from late November till February. Some of last years corn couldn`t be harvested until April because of the soft ground. You don`t see corn standing next to rape every day.

Whatever, good thing its dry now so the canal stays clear while zander night bite is on and I get a healthy tan on my nap the next day!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Dang that is a fine chunk of meat ! Apparently the only "known" place in the USA that has a few is a lake in North Dakota. Someday...

And yah, climate change is reality everywhere. Last year we had snow first week of June here, this year could have planted my garden weeks ago.

Bucho

I wouldn`t go so far to call it "warming", let alone believe that anybody had it in her power to limit it to 2°C (which is flatout ridiculous) but things are changing. When I aprenticed at my first job, insurance, flooding simply didn`t take place in this part of the world. Then came the Millenium, and all of a sudden strong rain incidents became so frequent we got into liability issues if we did`nt recomend according cover to our customers - tarifs that were unheard of 10 years ago.

There have always been changes in climate, glaciers wandering back and forth, viking migrants enjoying prosporous agriculture on "green-land", and they usually happend much quicker than one would think. But it is a fact and many communities here are facing it by getting larger sewage facilities etc.

Bucho

6 missed strikes last night. A friend had the same result 2 nights earlier. They only flip the blade but won´t take. We used to have that later into the summer, but with the warmest april since recording followed by the warmest may in 130 years it looks like that was it for the post-spawn bite.

No I`m thinking about testing striper lures (darters and Daiwa SP minnows etc.) with a teaser on top. Maybe a more aggressive presentation and/or small stuff will do the trick.

Bucho

This year I actually opened 5min early with the first zander being landed 23:58.... nobody saw it. 3 fish in the 50cm range made for a nice opening.

35890354wm.jpg

35890438hn.jpg

duffy

Nice! But you know,, now that you posted the evidence that the fish cops are going to be looking for you! :D

Back