Fire Roasted Red Taters

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Our new favorite side dish to just about anything. Very simple and delicious!

View attachment 1

Have been using a large cast iron baking pan, but can use any pan that can go on the grill. Quarter up enough small red potatoes to cover the pan and place them in a bowl. Keep the chunks big - maybe 1" x 1". Drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and add LOTS of FRESH Thyme. If you don't have fresh, look for dried whole leaf thyme, it is much better than the ground up stuff. Spread them out in one flat layer on your grill pan.

Start a small pile of charcoal on one end of the grill and add a pile of wood chunks once the coal is ashed over - we like mesquite but hickory works too. Place the potatoes at the opposite end so they cook by indirect heat.

I keep the grill cracked open most of the time as well as the top vent to keep the fire burning good and not heavy smoke. Add more wood as the chunks turn to coal to keep a fire lit. Try to keep the temp around 450 and they will take around 2 beers (an hour or so) before they are ready.

Of course, grilled chicken goes well as a main dish. ;)
View attachment 2

Attachments

• 100_6386_e.jpg
    100_6386_e.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_6380_e.jpg
    100_6380_e.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 105

AndyLane

I love taters cooked like that! That Chicken looks mighty tasty too. I think now i'm going to have to run and get some chicken and fire the grill up tonight.

crappiecripplerjigs

That's a mouth watering, finger licking, lip smacking feast. Great idea with the foil bowl and basting sauce. I thought it was beer. Now, there's another idea!

hookup

This have become a fav of my wife now. Everytime I grill, she's requesting red potatoes.

I'm not a huge fan of potatoes, but it's always nice to make the wife happy ;-)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Another veggie we have been roasting recently is whole carrots! Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme.... same as the taters. They only take about half the time, don't burn them. They turn into the sweetest roasted vegetable you can ever imagine!!!!! :icon14:

hookup said:
....This have become a fav of my wife now.....

Back