finally a 40cm (16") perch

Bucho

For a luremaker in the middle of 2 milion perch-enthusiasts, I´m embarassingly poor skilled when it comes to yellow (ours is rather greenish) perch. Finally cracked the 40cm (thats where "real" perch anglers start counting) with a well fed specimen that went for a 16gr (3/4oz tin) shad bait lure.

26543591ap.jpg

hookup

We get excited when the white perch get over 12"

Nice job & great eat'n fish

Bucho

Thanks everyone,

it was freshwater, they tolerate a little salt but baltic perch are a class of their own. They fight quite well like all perch, but when I hooked and unfortunately lost a mackerel the same size today on the same tackle... lets just say they are no warmwater species.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That is a chunk. Can't imagine the size/weight they get just before spawning. That is a big bait it went after too. Congrats on your catch.

Just for comparison, the Ohio yellow perch record was broken just this year with a fish from Lake Erie....... it measured in at just under 16". Here is a link to the story if you want to see the overly pregnant fish! -: http://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/05/state_record_yellow_perch_caug.html

Bucho

Thanks!
Its not the same species after all. The all time record is 11lbs / 68cm for Germany and 67cm for the UK. Bass lures of all kind are very popular over here, I consider a 16gr slab as small. They´re notorious for attacking bait almost their own size. I had a 8" one on a freaking 4oz cav. tailspinner fittet with a #8 colorado blade earlier.

Back