feathers

hhawkins

Does anybody know if a bluejay colored Marabou feather can be found anywhere? I have blue and peacock blue, one is too bright and the other too dark. I need to find something a little bit lighter. And how can I tell what size of a 3D eye is correct to use on what size jig head? Yep, my mind has been rolling! Not a safe thing :D Thanks guys! Heather

Radtexan

Heather look for a Flo. Blue.Should be close to what your looking for.

This is some maribou,but I had the same color in hackle at one point...Good question on the eye's Id like to know that too !!
jigspink051.jpg

fishhunter775

Future Sponsor
Heather probaly 80 percent or better of the do it molds take a size 5/32 specialy on lighter jigs.On some of the bigger say 1 oz or bigger take the 1/4.You can normaly move one size either direction but the sizes they list work best most of the time.Hope that helps a little.

hhawkins

fishhunter775 said:
Heather probaly 80 percent or better of the do it molds take a size 5/32 specialy on lighter jigs.On some of the bigger say 1 oz or bigger take the 1/4.You can normaly move one size either direction but the sizes they list work best most of the time.Hope that helps a little.

This helps better then me having to guess at it :huh:...YIKES! Thank you very much! Heather

hhawkins

Radtexan said:
Heather look for a Flo. Blue.Should be close to what your looking for.

This is some maribou,but I had the same color in hackle at one point...Good question on the eye's Id like to know that too !!
jigspink051.jpg

Thanks Rad! I have gears grinding in my heads and not the right colors. I'll look for Fl. Blue. Heather

hunter7711

Bog Baits is the best place to buy eyes.....I use 4mm in both 1/16 and 1/8 oz jigs, but that is what my mold was made for.

toadfrog

Heather , eyes usually come in millimeters from most manufacturers . 2mm -1/32 3mm 1-16 4mm-1/8 . If you see eyes listed like this just google a calculation chart. If you have some white feathers Rite Dye will color them. feathers can withstand boiling temps. always add salt to the dye before the feathers and after the water is hot. Use a glass pot. after dying rinse the feathers until you get clear water. Put them in a pillow case zip tie it closed toss in the dryer with a tennis ball. The feathers will dry and the ball will beat them into shape keeping them from tangling badly. White and black barred feathers look really cool dyed .

jjsjigs

Banned
hhawkins said:
jjsjigs said:
The color of marabou your looking for is called "Kingfisher" blue. it is the closest to bluejay you will find.

O.K. Where do I find "kingfisher"?

Any reputable flyshop that offers Wapsi brand flytying materials. (Around my parts, it's Gander Mountain) But if you go online to Cabela's or BPS you should find it.

hhawkins

jjsjigs said:
hhawkins said:
jjsjigs said:
The color of marabou your looking for is called "Kingfisher" blue. it is the closest to bluejay you will find.

O.K. Where do I find "kingfisher"?

Any reputable flyshop that offers Wapsi brand flytying materials. (Around my parts, it's Gander Mountain) But if you go online to Cabela's or BPS you should find it.

jjsjigs - I work for Bass Pro. But Bass Pro doesn't have all the good stuff, I have to hunt for it or get help from one of my buddies here. Besides I've done bought what Bass Pro offers online. Kind of, almost, ran that well dry. The fly fishing manager is pretty happy with, I've raised the sales for that department...LOL! :D I would like to blame for bad encouragement, but I'm the only one that talked myself in such a habit....He, He, He! :cool:

jjsjigs

Banned
I stand corrected then. I offered up the BPS online since it's a recognized "branding" across the country. If I had to give a specific store I use. It would be E. Hille's Flyship in South Williamsport, PA. It's been around since the 1950's and is quite argueably one of the best flyshops in the country. When my father (who is in his 70's) started flyfishing and flytying in the early 1960's E. Hille's was THE place to get what he needed. I found a cache of his materials in his desk with the date 1963 on a pack of golden pheasant tippet. He only paid .15 cents for it then. (Now it's like $6.50 a pack, LOL!) They are the exclusive dealer in Roman Mosier products in the U.S. If E. Hille's doesn't have it in stock. They can order it!! www.anglersupplyhouse.com

Back