Family Float

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Took the yaks out to the river last Saturday - i even let the rest of the family come along. :p Launched at Steyer Nature Preserve about 5 miles North of the area i fish on lunch breaks.

View attachment 8

This section of river has alot more mud/sand bottom than the bedrock substrate to the South and is deeper as well. Tried to paddle up-stream but could only make it a 1/2 mile before we hit a shallow run and would have had to get out and drag the yaks. So we turned and headed downstream about 2-3 miles then towed the kids back up to the launch. River was very low and slow for this time of year and pretty much the only way we could have towed them UP-stream. River has come up about 1' since Saturday. Had a great time. :)

View attachment 2

Found a big sand shoal that was a clam factory! Kids loaded up their yaks with them. :p This one was on the move....
View attachment 3

Saw lots of small turtles basking on rocks and logs - all in the same size range. Managed to catch one. Had to ID it on the DNR website once we got home - turns out to be a Northern Map Turtle. :)
View attachment 4

Took my rod and a small box of jigs/spins along but got no bites. Was more of a family trip so didn't want to spoil it. :rolleyes: Threw a skirted tail spin most of the time since we moved along pretty quickly but no takers. Saw lots of carp rocket away as i floated over them. Alot different structure than my usual lunchtime river trips - need to make another trip back here with my buddy for a true 'fishing' float. :jig:

View attachment 5

View attachment 6

View attachment 7

Attachments

• 100_5052_e.jpg
    100_5052_e.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_5058_e.jpg
    100_5058_e.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_5060_e.jpg
    100_5060_e.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_5065_e.jpg
    100_5065_e.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_5067_e.jpg
    100_5067_e.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_5068_e.jpg
    100_5068_e.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_5071_e.jpg
    100_5071_e.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 59

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
stanger - The whole family has sit-in cockpit style yaks and they are VERY stable. Only time i have ever come close to putting water inside mine was trying to exit on to the rocks after sitting inside it for a few hours. Getting out can be tough if you only have steep shoreline.

IMO, they are the perfect personal fishing machines! Light enough to car top and carry/drag myself. Makes you keep your stuff organized and limited to essential gear...... but i do manage to take along my ice flasher and hang the transducer off the front for lake fishing. :D

Fatman

Great looking day with the family!!!!!!!!! Gotta hate it though when you see good laydown cover and there's no fish in em!!!!!!!!!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Does low water mean less current?

Didn't know clam habitat included fresh water streams. Were the kids harvesting for consumption?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Fatman - The fish are there somewhere but my guess is that they were all scared half to death with my 2 'not so quiet' children thumping paddles on every rock and log as they traveled. I was trying to hit the slack side of boulders i could find in deeper water but a simply more stealthy approach might have been key.

Hawn - Current was running pretty slow and yes it does slow down as the river drops. LOTS of clams in this river. Closer towards town there are a few small sand shoals where i have found them but there is alot better habitat in this area of the river. They are big too. Kids must have had 30+ in their boats but i told them they had to release them in the area we found them. Never eaten them or honestly heard of anyone eating them so no clue about that. River is not the cleanest in my opinion...... several cities up stream use it for drain (and occasional sewage overflow) run-off. Very agricultural area as well - lots of livestock farms and chems sprayed on crop fields that run off. :(

I just pulled a few more pics off my wifes camera......

Kids clam diggin:

View attachment 1

Cool view of some erosion from when the river is flowing fast - amazing that the trees stay put.

View attachment 2

One last pic:

View attachment 3

Attachments

• 100_5608_e.jpg
    100_5608_e.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_5612_e.jpg
    100_5612_e.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_5634_e.jpg
    100_5634_e.jpg