Fall fishing

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been out much at all lately. Maybe 4 times from shore (quick trips) and once on my kayak during the hot summer months. Hoping to change that very soon. Temps about 20 degrees cooler today than yesterday and got about 2 inches of rain as well. Hopefully the walleye will be heading close to shore in my favorite spots soon.

One of my last trips out to a small local upground reservoir i found some big 8.5" and 9" bluegill on a pattern i haven't seen them on for a few years in this lake. Tried jigs shallow at first with only very small fish to show for it. Tried a shallow float out over deeper water and still no luck. Got out my back-up rod with a slip float attached and dropped a single waxworm on a drop spoon down between 15' and 20' deep and started picking off the big boys. If they stick with the same routine i have seen them do in years like this before, i should be able to target these fish all the way up until we get ice.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Moving water walleye bite has improved from zero in Aug to a decent few currently due to the cooling weather I think. 7 yesterday pre-sunrise and 5 today 14-20". Smallmouth bite likewise bout 10 today mostly better n nuthin fun 12-14" size with one rare oversize for the spot 4#.

White bass also showing up at a reservoir inlet canal pool nuthin big but still a lot of eater keep size. Few wipers in the mix today 2 & 4#.

So yah any trepidations about a missing or mediocre Fall bite are history.

Nice going figgering out those down deep BGs AF. New for me was getting wally & wiper bit in a deep micro eddy hold with a slow drop retrieve in fairly brisk current in the dark. The drop spot and angle needed to be precise or else the jig would wash away in the fast water.

I too am hoping for a repeat bonanza Spring close to shore chunk walleye bite. Presence of baitfish likely the essential factor.

Back