Epoxy Eyes - Recessed Sockets

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Well, i ran out of the proper size 3D eyes for some heads i have, so did a little experiment. I painted the entire eye socket with iradecent (sp?) green nail polish, black polish for a pupil, then used a large drop of 2-part epoxy to fill the entire socket. End result had some bubbles and wasn't perfectly clear, but in nature, only the strong survive... hopefully these get eaten. ;) Was pretty time consuming, but did turn out really cool with the light green eyes. All the other paint is NP as well. Here are some pics.... will be tying bodies/tails on these soon.

Some very cool 1/8th oz. on 60 bend hooks...
View attachment 6

View attachment 7

View attachment 8

1/4th oz. (i think) with a big sickle. :D
View attachment 9

I might need help with the hook sizes from the member who sent them to me if anyone wants to know. I cleaned out my PM box and can't remember for sure. :blush:

Attachments

• 101_0553_e.jpg
    101_0553_e.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 101_1230_e.jpg
    101_1230_e.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 101_1232_e.jpg
    101_1232_e.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 101_1236_e.jpg
    101_1236_e.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 155

Pup

AF,

Those look good to me and will to the fish. The next time you use your epoxy, try coating the entire head and let it stand it on end. The bubbles generally travel down toward the hook shank. You could use a hair dryer to remove the bubbles, but that's more trouble than it's worth imo.

I'd be awfully tempted to tie a ceiling staple onto each hook shank so that I could secure and fish a very soft plastic grub with those.

Nifty stuff. :cool:

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Pup - Oh yeah, I was thinking a sassy shad plastic with the head cut off. Think i have some flat sided worms that might work also. :cool: First one i did (not pictured) i hung from the hook to let dry... went back to check on it about 5 mins later and the "bubble" of epoxy was actually sliding out of the eye socket. I did both eyes at once so had to go and flip it over every 5 to keep it in place. This set, i just put in the epoxy on 1 side and layed them flat... waited to dry some... them flipped and did the other side. They are somewhat 3D.

SH - Thanks. :)

DC - Probably a snowballs chance in.... ok, make it 1 in a million. Thats a bubble and wasn't happy with it at first, but think i am just waaaaay too picky. ;)

CK3 - Yes they are from RonDon, but he managed to get some odd ball 60 deg. bend hooks in it for me and i cant remember the sizes. :-/

baitmaster

Attica,
Great idea on the epoxy. One trick that can be used for bubbles in epoxy is an alcohol torch or lamp. The heat increases the surface tension on the epoxy forcing the bubbles out. Alcohol as the buring fuel will not discolor the epoxy since it burns smokeless. An old rod building trick!

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Man your nail polish jobs are money! Epoxy eyes - genius! Those bad boys aint coming off! I made my first 3D eyes the other day. Took forever but did a thousand of 'em.

Back