Economical Drop Shotting Rig

papaperch

Love the drop shot technique for all species. What I don't care for is the cost. While researching I came across this Thailand guy tying a great drop shot rig using any kind of straight shank hook. So easy I perfected it after several mishaps. 

Step One Run line thru eye of hook

YF2UXFm.jpg

Step Two Make a Single Loop and Let it lie

dda8FPt.jpg

Step 3 Pick up hook so it is in between your two hands with the two top lines

rikK9Qs.jpg

Once in position twist the hook 6-8 times around the two top lines only. The bottom third line is used in final step. The knot should resemble the above pic after the 6-8 turns

Kind of nurse the knot slowly into position ensuring an equal amount on turns on each side of hook.

Final step pull the bottom line until knots are tight on each side of the eye of the hook see pic below

jKg6GjI.jpg

Tied these with yellow power pro to aid in visual. Real rigs that I use are tied with mono. I also plunge in pail of water to keep line from weakening itself the water acts as a lubricant. Below is one of my actual ties that I use

INjtoGa.jpg

I use these rigs all year. Thru the ice I downsize the hooks weight and line. The open water rigs I use 10 and 12 # fluorocarbon with size 8 to size 1 hooks mostly light wire aberdeens. Winter rigs I tie with 7 lb fluorocarbon split shot as weight and  12 ,10 ,and size 8 hooks. I do prefer the Owner hooks for ice fishing. I tie so bottom hook would be 10 to 12 inches off bottom top hook is anywhere from 12 to 16 above bottom hook. 

I can't think of a species native to Ohio that I have not caught on a drop shot rig.

hookup

We'd make something similar to this when going after baits for deep sea fishing

papaperch

Bucho---- have tied some of " Red's wool version jigs " on the drop shot rig. Have also used plastics like Crappie Magnets, Lunkerhunt Bento Minnows, and some Berkley drop shot minnows. All have worked but live bait remains my first go to.

Back