Ebay type Auction Forum

papaperch

While kinda a whiz with computers I really stink at software. So if this idea is absurd feel free to ignore

When ebay first started it morphed almost overnight into an internet giant. This was due to the fact that most of the members felt an almost " family " like atmosphere. Ebay right now is shooting itself in the foot. Strictly " corporate based decisions " are being made by people who have never bought or sold on Ebay.

Since the " family " thing is pretty strong on this site I propose an online auction forum. Site to host the pix and info of item and to receive a final valuation fee when item sells.

Just an example Joe Jigcrafter decides to sell his old spinning reels. He list them on here and they do not sell there would be no charge. If they do sell a percentage of sale would be paid by seller. To help fund this site that we all enjoy.

To prevent spammers site might have to adopt a certain time frame to discourage the dishonest. For instance member must be active on site for say 90 days or whatever before they can list item for auction.

hhawkins

I agree.....Ebay is a pain to work around. This way if anybody has something of the fishing persuasion, without the hub-bub, they can put it out, especially if they don't know what the price of something to start with, but still need to an option to just sell out right if you don't want to auction your item off. I like the 90 day thing too.

JUNGLEJIM1

Ilike this idea. I've been doing the ebay thing way too long. It's hard to sell there now,soooooo much chinese jigs to wade through.

ScottV

I'm all for it myself. I've never sold anything on EBay, but I've purchased a lot of stuff. Ido like the 90 day thing also cause I know I can trust anyone who's been on here a while.

sloedown

Ever wonder why you don't see something like this on other fishing websites?.. I am not being negative about it but just some "food for thought." Please don't think I am being a prick.

hunter7711

Let me put in a little input. I've been selling on ebay since 1997. And boy have things changed. I used to deal in vintage marbles. Yes, marbles. Some of those little glass balls from the 20's and 30's sell for $2000 or MORE. The marble collecting community is extremely large. In 2004 I started a ebay like sit for marble collectors to sell on. No listing fee, no final value fee, nothing for the first year you joined. I footed the bill for the site, and kept it running for 1 year. I had over 1500 sign up for the site, and in a year had 150 succesfull sellers. That is not worth the time. It is a awfull lot of work to run, and as long as ebay is around it WON"T work. I'm also sorry for the negativity, but you can't compete. Why would someone try and sell something here with 100 people, when you can do ebay and have the world watching? I think the swapmeet sections is enough. All you need to do is know how much you want for it. If you don't know take offers. I put some jig heads on CDC and accepted offers for 1 day and sold it for twice what I would have put for a price. Sorry for going on for so long. Just trying to save someone a headache.

crappiecripplerjigs

I like the idea as well, but every new creation will have its pro's and con's. I would rather offer items among a smaller group of trusted folks than to the unknown world anyday. If a larger crowd was the goal, sell on ebay. Perhaps a forum category "Auction". You start your item at $2.00. Take bids until 5pm tomorrow. Highest wins. Done in post style rather than a PM so all interested could see the current bid. Or could be done with a PM like a sealed bid. You get one shot to win it. Could be done without software and too much headache I think. Not going to be selling to make a fortune anyhow so should be fun to try. My wife will not be happy due to my spending habits!

papaperch

All in all , not trying to replace Eaby. Just use a little of its "old " magic to help this site. I enjoy this site and if something can be done to help it along great. I used to sell quite a bit on Ebay but like its already been said the " fun " is gone.

I understand the negativity. But whatever is tried can be stopped if it turns out to be a headache for the site owners. Auction would not have to replace the straight swap meet forum. where I got the idea is when someone auctioned on jigs on the CDC site for charity. I believe it was Jungle Jim but not 100% sure..

If nothing else seems like the idea spurred some conversation on here.

JUNGLEJIM1

I like the auction idea,bidding by posts. It sounds like fun. I did three auctions with swap #13.Two were for charity,and one for cc.Total raised with the three auctions was $400. That reminds me that I still have some left over from that.I'll mail them to Attica one day and maybe he can auction them off on JC to help with the costs for running this site.

sloedown

papaperch said:
All in all , not trying to replace Eaby. Just use a little of its "old " magic to help this site. I enjoy this site and if something can be done to help it along great. I used to sell quite a bit on Ebay but like its already been said the " fun " is gone.

I understand the negativity. But whatever is tried can be stopped if it turns out to be a headache for the site owners. Auction would not have to replace the straight swap meet forum. where I got the idea is when someone auctioned on jigs on the CDC site for charity. I believe it was Jungle Jim but not 100% sure..

If nothing else seems like the idea spurred some conversation on here.

Who is being negative?..An open discussion means looking at all aspects of something...

crappiecripplerjigs

I know I would welcome the opportunity to purchase molds, materials, vises, lures, rods, reels, and just about any other fishing related items that the folks on the forum have to sell. An auction format might also bring up some conversation and bring some folks out of hiding! Where's everybody at lately?

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've got lots of no longer useful stuff - jig hooks, molds, new spare reel spools, tying materials, soft plastics, that I would rather pass on thru the forum than on eBay.

sloedown

crappiecripplerjigs said:
I know I would welcome the opportunity to purchase molds, materials, vises, lures, rods, reels, and just about any other fishing related items that the folks on the forum have to sell. An auction format might also bring up some conversation and bring some folks out of hiding! Where's everybody at lately?

A very good point crappiecrippler...Instead of an ongoing auction that may (?) take days,could it not be set up to for a day (or longer) and do it once or twice a month say?Let people know when it will start and end and that way the regulars can all tune in about the same time...Just an idea................

toadfrog

Heck guys and gals everything has to have a beginning. So what if its just us at the start. I've done some trading and buying on here. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Also I and others have a tendency to pass on info by word of mouth. Thats exposure for the site money can't buy.

toadfrog

The only Real problem I can see and this is on all sites. Some weeks it seems like nobody is posting I check the sites i'm on about three times a day and have my email set for instant notification for new posts. That way I can keep up. When it comes to tackle making I'm one sick puppy . Think I need theropy. Think I'll go make another one that"ll cure me yep.

Back