eBay spinning reel

Hawnjigs

KISS
Just recieved a new Pflueger Arbor 7430 spinning reel from seller "adrirob" - here is seller's description copied & pasted:
REEL WAS NEVER USED / PERFECT SHAPE

Here's a pic of what I got - the outer shipping box doesn't appear to be damaged but the original factory box inside was badly crumpled.

View attachment 3

Seller claims ignorance & non-responsibility and expects me to get the reel fixed. Don't worry, I will pursue a dispute but this kind of "customer is always wrong" attitude is such a waste of time.

Attachments

• Arbor reel.JPG
    Arbor reel.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 100

Hawnjigs

KISS
It gets worse. Examining the bail assembly, does it look like a quick fix rebend was attempted? Also, the bail arm bracket seems to be at an odd angle?

View attachment 4

Attachments

• Arbor 2.JPG
    Arbor 2.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 93

toadfrog

If I'm not mistaken I see marks inside the screw heads . That didn't happen at the factory .

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Wow! Thats unbelievable! Sorry to see that Hawn. Ive only been screwed once on ebay but was a very similar situation. Bought a paintball gun that was LIKE NEW. Yet you could tell it had been dropped and 3 screws were stripped out and the O-rings were ruined. Seller still wanted me to leave positive feedback!!! Hmmm.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The factory box was so crushed and reel parts so bent out of shape my first thought was a vehicle run over!

Indeed, one of the bail arm retainer screws exhibited excessive slot wear suggesting post factory tampering.

That shiny ring in the pic around the circular part of the bail arm turned out to be edge damage.

Yup, unbelievable that an eBay seller could so grossly misrepresent the reel condition, then obstruct my request for a refund. Had to file a complaint.

JUNGLEJIM1

He'll probably blame it on the usps. I've never left a negative feedback before on ebay but if I had received this there would be a first time.

toadfrog

Never buy a mold if they won't show a pic of it open . Some people get real happy with there free hand modifications . I haven't ever purchased rods or reels didn't want to take the chance . I've even quit trading molds been stung several times now. Caught one guy selling my molds on ebay but never sent me the replacements .

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, responding to complaint seller insists reel was inspected and perfect new condition. I have no idea how this seller got 100% positive feedback. Then again, I've never left a negative feedback after over 10 yrs. on eBay. The old system, if one party left a negative the other would leave a retaliation negative so there was no point.

eBay tackle purchases have been risky. I once received a new Fenwick HMG from a discontinued model clearing house which I had to add a bottom guide to prevent line slap! And yes, I've gotten lots of molds with issues, but those are usually fix-able.

Just got a very slick pro designed email phish from "eBay" using my full name:
Dear Keith Okimoto,
You got my $500 2 weeks ago and there is no response from you .. I reported you to PayPal and if you don`t answer in 2 days i will contact FBI..
- andrews92122

What a coincidence I messaged the reel seller signing my full name and email address a few days ago. Of course the phish eBay ID does not exist.

Fatman

Make sure to file it and if they won't take care of it, file it here http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

I'd print a copy of that auction listing really quick before it gets taken down so you have absolute no questions asked proof!!!

I was burned one time on ebay and PayPal (that's why I don't use it) when I first started buying there.

I'm with Toad on the molds!!!!!!! I was looking at an old Palmer and I could see where it looked like someone brazed a crack, didn't buy it.

hhawkins

I don't have an account on ebay nor how to use it, but found 2 molds that I really wanted. Asked a friend of mine at work if he could get them for me. He did get them but they never showed up at his house. Ebay took his money, but never sent the molds. 2 1/2 months later he finally got his money back into his account. Thats pretty bad ebay! I don't trust them! Sorry that it happened to you too!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Heather, after over 10 yrs. on eBay I will say that your non-delivery experience is rather unusual. What did the seller say?

I will continue to use eBay as a source for items unavailable locally. You takes your chances, but I consider it no more risky than going to Wal-Mart and buying some crap made in China. However, I will no longer purchase anything big ticket on eBay as their "full Buyer protection" is BS - only got a $200 refund on a $1,300 scam purchase few years back.

Did some research and the eBay phish email I got has been making the rounds for at least almost 2 years. So, apparently unrelated to the reel seller(?) but reporting the phish to eBay appears to be useless. I'm wondering how the phishers got my full name & email tho?

upnort16

My brother sells a lot of tools, mostly speciality stuff, but all used and in working condition. He tells me horror stories of buyers not paying right away, seeing scratches and complaining. Paypal takes fees out immediately and at the first sign of trouble, seizes the account. I myself purchase items on ebay, but generally stuff I don't find local, or really good photos and luckily I have not recieved damaged goods. I take that back, one of three items in the box were broken, shipping insurance handled it. I understand paypal and ebay have great buyer protection rules, so go that route first, at least the seller won't spend your money until you are satisfied with a refund or exchange. Good Luck

hhawkins

Hawnjigs said:
Heather, after over 10 yrs. on eBay I will say that your non-delivery experience is rather unusual. What did the seller say?

I will continue to use eBay as a source for items unavailable locally. You takes your chances, but I consider it no more risky than going to Wal-Mart and buying some crap made in China. However, I will no longer purchase anything big ticket on eBay as their "full Buyer protection" is BS - only got a $200 refund on a $1,300 scam purchase few years back.

Did some research and the eBay phish email I got has been making the rounds for at least almost 2 years. So, apparently unrelated to the reel seller(?) but reporting the phish to eBay appears to be useless. I'm wondering how the phishers got my full name & email tho?

Hawn - The seller claimed that the molds were sent out. And that the tracking process said that my friend recieved the molds. But none of that was true. My friend put up a fight and got his money back that he put up to get the molds. I had money in hand waiting for my friend when he brought the mold so I could pay him back. The molds were custom made football mold and the sizes went from 1/32oz to 1/2 oz and the other mold was ponyhead mold and the sizes ranged from 1/32oz to 1/4oz. I was really wanting those molds because of the heads going down as far as 1/32oz especially the football head mold. I don't think that Do-It makes the football head mold with a 1/32oz. Oh well!

Hawnjigs

KISS
If the parcel was USPS tracked to your post office or UPS tracked to point of delivery then it probably made it since the tracking requires an electronic scan of the actual parcel at the physical location indicated. Kinda suggests an inside job...

Wow, those aren't exactly entry level molds...

JUNGLEJIM1

Interesting story,Heather. I bought a Shimano CI4 4000 on ebay back in February and went without a hitch. A month later two detectives were at my door.Apparently, the seller had bought the reel with a stolen credit card and had it shipped directly from a sporting goods store to me without ever touching the reel. I had to prove to them that I won and paid for the reel on ebay through my paypal account. I thought they were going to confiscate the reel but they didn't. Guy was paying full price with the card and selling them through auction on ebay,money going to another account. The reel sells for $229.99 +tax at Bass Pro and I got it for $186 with free shipping. I got it for a great price,but detectives at my door made me a little nervous. I've been buying and selling on ebay for seven years and been burned a couple of times.

Back