Easy swim heads

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an easy way to make some pretty simple heads that are similar to those with a 60 deg. bend hook eye. They are just aberdeen hooks with the eye bent using pliers then a round split shot crimped on. These are painted with nail polish and you can shape them as well if you want.

101_0971_e.jpg

I like them mostly because you can make them whatever wt. you want with any hook size you want. Also can make them and use with plastics or live bait while you're out fishing and in a pinch. ;)

Jubs

That's a great idea! I have been thinking about something like this for awhile after seeing the larger ones they have for bass fishing and whatnot. I want to get some of these with smaller hooks I need to shop around and see if there is anybody making any. I would like to get some micro ones as well for throwing on a fly rod without having to bulk up the body with lead wire and having a head down drop would be great as well.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The first jigs our fishing nerd schoolboy "gang" tied were on split shot crimped straight shank hooks, & we got our share. Us working class kids back in the '60s had never seen a "real" jig head so we didn't figure putting a bend in the hook to keep the lead from spinning or raising the hook eye for upright balance. Indeed, there are no small light wire wire jigs hooks or molds available to make this type of head.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
These are very simple to make. The one with the blue head is on a #1 and the bottom one is on a #8 or #10 with the smallest shot i have, so you can make them down pretty small. I also like how much room there is to tie on the shank with these, you can make a nice craw with them.

You are right HJ, doesn't seem to be a whole lot of selection of smaller 60 deg. jigs of any kind and not sure why that is. Started making these because I wanted a minnow shaped head with the 60 deg. bend. All i could find was some tube insert styles and the bullet nose jigs, but they only go down as small as 1/8th oz. I wanted something smaller... i fish alot of 1/16 or 1/32 jigs more often by cast/retrive and don't do a whole lot of vertical jigging. Maybe i'm an odd ball tho. :huh:

Hawnjigs

KISS
Since all my presentations are horizontal from shore I suppose I'm an oddball too. Maybe hook mfgs figure most of their jig customers fish vert from a boat or under a float. For a casting & retrieving style I agree a 60* hook forward eye jig is superior to a 90* mid body eye.

Since JiggerJohn converted me from the safety of 8# mono down to 4#, I'm generally throwing 1/16 plain ball #4 or #6.

VMC 7161 is a superb quality 60* flipping jig hook that sizes down to #6. However, the #6 wire diameter = a normal thin wire #1 so its a very heavy hook for its size. Also, the gap of the #6 = a normal #4 light round bend. The only mold that accomodates a 60* hook down to 1/16 is the Sparkie which I just ordered. The Bullet Jig might be modified for 60* hooks, but the long body-collar shape might not fit the short shank 7161s if the eye position is moved forward.

baitmaster

Attica,
The clipped on split shot is a great idea. During this winter I though of a great idea to have a vertical jig with the hook eye at the top. Winter is over, so it will have to wait for next year. Thanks for sharing.

snake River

atticafish have you try putting split shot on jig hooks that is a terrific ideal one thing about it you have a lot of different sizes of split shot.

crappiecripplerjigs

Those look great Attica. I have purchased small jigs in and around Tiptonville, TN. when we travel to Reelfoot Lake. The heads are nearly identical and the hook bend is the same as well. Never could figure out how it was done! This could be it. Neat idea.

Back