Easy jig eyes

oldfox

Toadfrog had mentioned that ball jigheads could be flattened on the sides to accept stick on eyes, buy squeezing them in a vise. I got thinking about accomplishing the same with a pair of parallel jaw pliers. I ended up finding a cheap pair of 4" vise grips. I ground the jaws flat to take out the serrations. Below is the finished result. They work great, and I don't have to go out to my unheated workshop to use the vise ! :D

View attachment 7

View attachment 8

Attachments

• 3-12-11 004.jpg
    3-12-11 004.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 171
  • 3-12-11 005.jpg
    3-12-11 005.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 169

JUNGLEJIM1

Those turned out great. I used to flatten them a couple years ago,but then I got lazy and had a couple pillhead mold with recessed eyes made. Those are my favorite heads now.

oldfox

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
Those turned out great. I used to flatten them a couple years ago,but then I got lazy and had a couple pillhead mold with recessed eyes made. Those are my favorite heads now.

What size are those pill heads you are using, and do you sell them?

JUNGLEJIM1

My pillheads weigh 1/32 and 1/24 and were designed to be spinners by putting in a #12 crane swivel so they can be made with or without blades. I have to trim a little sprue off if I don't use the cranes. There are some silicone molds of these that will be made soon and will be made in volume with a spincaster machine. I think these would be great having them nickle plated but that's even further down the road. For now,if you'd like some to try out send me a pm with an address and I'll send you some. The eyes are called nailheads which are aluminum. I superglue them on after painting them. They will take 3mm or 4mm 3-d eyes or you can paint eyes as well.Lot's of possibilities.

toadfrog

oldfox said:
Toadfrog had mentioned that ball jigheads could be flattened on the sides to accept stick on eyes, buy squeezing them in a vise. I got thinking about accomplishing the same with a pair of parallel jaw pliers. I ended up finding a cheap pair of 4" vise grips. I ground the jaws flat to take out the serrations. Below is the finished result. They work great, and I don't have to go out to my unheated workshop to use the vise ! :D
There is always more than one way to skin a cat! lol

LedHed

Sponsor
Excellent idea oldfox.

How bout another set of vise grips with diamond patterns etched on the jaw face to make scales and use it on tube jigs???

You could make a set of jig manipulators!!!

Setting the vise grips is a great way for repeatability. Bet you could come up with some crazy dies as well.

I did some stuff using a small jewelers vise, a cheater bar, and marks on the vise to change the profile of Do-Its minnow head jig. The goal was to give the jig more of a shad appearance.

oldfox

LedHed said:
Excellent idea oldfox.

How bout another set of vise grips with diamond patterns etched on the jaw face to make scales and use it on tube jigs???

You could make a set of jig manipulators!!!

Setting the vise grips is a great way for repeatability. Bet you could come up with some crazy dies as well.

I did some stuff using a small jewelers vise, a cheater bar, and marks on the vise to change the profile of Do-Its minnow head jig. The goal was to give the jig more of a shad appearance.

Some good ideas LedHed...I'll put my thinkin' cap on :D

Back