Eagle Claw lil nasty jighooks.

LedHed

Sponsor
Got mine at captainhooks - not sure about the price but EC sure did make them affordable... Big bang for the buck.

I only have experience with the black nickel & Bluegills. They have really held up - point doesn't roll + stays sharp.

jackie53

Ordered form Captian hooks also and a friend emailed me and said lurecraft had theirs cheaper if you order a 1000!! Checked and they were so orederd some red lil nastys in # 4 and # 2 they were cheaper!! Put them back someone will be looking for them!!
# 4 lil nasty at lurecraft 33.00,1000,captian hooks 33.99!! 1000

redear

yesterday 1000 of these in size 4 black came in the mail from lurecraft, and I looked some of them over real good. I like them so far. they are as sharp as the matzuo hooks which surprised me, the wire may be a hair thicker on the size 4's when compaired with the matzuo and they say the steel is softer which is good, this should nip the broken hook problem that we have been dealing with on the others. the hooks point is bent downward by quite alot and I for one will pull the points upward some before fishing them. I can't see where the barbs are any bigger, if they are it isn,t by much, on size 4 anyway. I really doubted that EC could put out a sickle comparable in sharpness with the matzuo's, but I was happily proved wrong.

redear

oh, and the 1000 ct. comes in a plastic box that is very easy to get them in and out of, anyone that has tried to get a big wad of 800 hooks back into a little cardboard box can appreciate this. got these hooks back out last nite while watching tv and looked them over some more, oh yeah they are growing on me. I am thinking that when the points are pulled up some that the gap will be comparable to the matzuo's, didn't have any needle nose pliers in the house last nite to test this, maybe tonite I'll play with this.

redear

I think I'll order another 1000 size 4's today I went to open up the gap on a finished jig with a matzuo sickle and it just snapped off, lol.

hookup

redear said:
I went to open up the gap on a finished jig with a matzuo sickle and it just snapped off, lol.

Hardened steel is brittle & will do that. Happens on all brands - but all brands do not have the manufacturing problems as Matzuo.

Still, after culling about 5% of the Matzuos for each lot, I'll keep comming back and buying & fishing them.

JUNGLEJIM1

In my opinion bronze hooks seem to bend without breaking better than the others. Bent some to a 60 degree without breaking and tried a couple gami's and they broke. Hard to find 60's in a #1 or 1/0 so I'm bending some 90's at the bend.

hookup

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
In my opinion bronze hooks seem to bend without breaking better than the others.

That's because they are not hardened.

But bronze rusts easier.

redear

I still need to pour some of these hooks, it has been real cold out in the shop and too cold to open the doors for ventilation. I have seen posts elsewhere about these hooks not being as sharp as the matzuos, I don't buy that, mine certainly are. I think what may be occuring is that when you check for sharpness by touching the hooks point with your thumb, the eagle claws point is tucked in at a downward angle so you have to get your finger or thumb further into the gap of the hook in order to check for sharpness, what I am saying is the angle of the hooks point in relation to your thumb really matters, from what I can see the eagle claw hooks need to be opened up in the gap with a pair of needle nose pliers in order to expose the hooks point better, this doesn't bother me as I'm not pouring thousands of them.

LedHed

Sponsor
re - I agree totally with what you are saying about the sharpness issue. Dragging across the surface doesn't stick - but when you get into the inside of the tip, it certainly does! Extremely sharp where it needs to be. I stick myself more with these new ECs - they are sharp. Check out a couple of my last posts at LP - a lot of the hooks are stuck through the roof of the mouth on the fish. I think the angle helps with the penetration.
Been using Matzuo's for a long time (since they came out), can't even tell you how many jigs I've poured. Not anymore - if the ECs hold up for spring/summer bite at LP and LH (which I'm positive they will). The quality control surpasses Matzuo, IMO a better manufactured product, and they are made in America. Anybody that pours knows how slow it goes with Matzuos........

plateboater

Time to order some Lil nasty's.....need some thoughts on black, red, gold. What is the common style color most are using. I recently bought gold in #4 and #1. How passionate are people with this?

hookup

I'm passionate able black nickle because they do not easily rust - fishing from a kayak, that's a plus.

Back