Eagle Claw 570 BP vs. L570 BP ?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Most everyone is familiar with the EC 570 which has been around maybe as long as I've been jigging.  I've never liked them because: 
" Designed to straighten when snagged rather than break so you do not lose your lure.

OK for crappie in snaggy cover but not the best choice for open water trophy size other species.

My question is has anyone tried the newest version L570?  Is it stronger as well as I'm assuming sharper?  Worth more than twice the price of 570?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Just got a box of EC 570 BP #2 by request and they appear to be the original design from a gazillion years ago with the outbend point.  I've actually never poured 570 due to soft wire and I certainly wouldn't trust these for handling any chunksters.  Black pearl finish is as good as any, points are mediocre but not terrible like classic Mustad, and there doesn't appear to be any shape defect issues.

Still would appreciate any comments on the upgrade L570.

fishhunter775

Future Sponsor
the 570bp has a forged point hook point where the L570 is a lazer point and is as sharp as the sickle hooks, the only draw back I see is the price of them.

toadfrog

I've used a few L570 But I didn't have to buy them, made the friend buy them . I probably won't unless someone hops up and down wanting them. They will cough up the cash.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Smarter than me you are TF. I'm stuck with 800 570 #2s after (valued) customer informed me he won't be ordering more for the exact reason I mentioned why I never use them.

If the Lil Nasty is as sharp as the L570 at half the price seems the better choice is obvious.

toadfrog

For once the hair standing up on the nap of my neck warned me of pending product use I didn't know much about . Like the herring head mold and the wires . I got the mold but knew dang well I was going to do the smaller heads with S hooks so it got modified . Now the bigger heads are going to be a pain way down from my neck.

fishhunter775

Future Sponsor
Hawn the il nasty is no where close in sharpness of the l570 the lil nastys have the forged point as well. I like them in the smaller sizes but not a big fan of the bigger ones but that may just be me.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I'll keep a few #4 & #2 Lil Nastys inventoried for I presume crappie jiggers who want a cheap bendy hook, but will never use em myself. Larger sizes for larger species raise the red flag even higher. Unless the L570 is stronger, no point in paying more for additional sharpness.

Fatman

Maybe it was after a certain year but all the Eagle Claw 570s I have have been good even on big fish. Course I got mine back in the late 70s early 80s, even my Mustads from that time are really good.

Hawnjigs

KISS
When I started pouring jig heads around 1998 indeed hook quality of all brands was better than now. Especially, Mustad classics were I think deliberately quality compromised to make newly developed Ultra Point worth paying more for. Original Matzuo Sickles were a quality hook, and expensive. Seems there was already a downhill slide when I jumped in, and I suppose earlier mfg. from the 70s & 80s were a cut above. I've got a few EC beak point jig hooks from that period, and the wire appears to be noticeably harder tempered than current 570.

Back