E L Sweet & Son

LedHed

Sponsor
Lead Mold selecton from the E L Sweet & Son no. 7 catalog. Checkout the phone number. Don't see a date - no zip - looks late 40s.

Attachments

• EL Sweet & Son Catalog.JPG
    EL Sweet & Son Catalog.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 131
  • ELS 001.JPG
    ELS 001.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 133
  • ELS 002.JPG
    ELS 002.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 131
  • ELS 003.JPG
    ELS 003.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 131
  • ELS 004.JPG
    ELS 004.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 126

JSC

LH ___ Thanx for posting this ... I had forgotten about Sweets molds .. Never had one but some where along the line way back when I had one of their catalogs --- The Kid with Cane pole, Overalls, can of worms and a Dog.

Thanx
JSC

Uncle Grump

LedHed

Your catalog could be newer than you think....

When I was a kid - early '60's - all the phone numbers in our area had "word" suffix's like your catalog shows. Ours was HA (Hamilton) 5 - 2040. The concept of area codes for phone numbers came later as well. Prior to that (area codes), all long distance calls had to go thru an operater.

Zip codes came about in the mid to late '60's....

UG

LedHed

Sponsor
UG

Great info. Still think the catalog is older than 60s - maybe mid to late 50s then.
There are no plastic jigs and the jigs pictured all look saltwater style.

toadfrog

Uncle Grump said:
LedHed

Your catalog could be newer than you think....

When I was a kid - early '60's - all the phone numbers in our area had "word" suffix's like your catalog shows. Ours was HA (Hamilton) 5 - 2040. The concept of area codes for phone numbers came later as well. Prior to that (area codes), all long distance calls had to go thru an operater.

Zip codes came about in the mid to late '60's....

UG
I remember that and then there was the party lines where you could eves drop on folks.

toadfrog

Keep those catalogs coming. Your making me a happy fellow. I already found a mold I want . Now getting my hands on it may take some dickering.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I too thought the designs looked salt water with the predominance of O'Shaughnessy hooks, but Tonawanda turned out to be almost Lake Erie front with EZ boat access.

Hahaha, I remember party lines too.

Uncle Grump

[/quote]I remember that and then there was the party lines where you could eves drop on folks.
[/quote]

Yupper....that you could.....

We we moved in to our current house in 1983, the only phone service we could get was a party line. Our "line" was 3 parties, but the 3rd residence was a vacant house, and the 2nd residence was a old couple who rarely used the phone - we - on the other hand - used the phone - alot.....

Calling the other couple was a trick - dial their number - then hang up. Wait for the phone to ring, when it stopped, pick up, as the other party was on the phone.

Our phone company upgraded to all private lines in the early '90s.

UG

catfishfever

I recently found and purchased a Sweet mold on ebay. It's a single mold, about 4" long, four sided, accepts #2 brass eyelets. It cost me $12, shipping included. I'll use theses sinkers for drift fishing.
I'm currently in Junction City, Ks, ret at Ft Riley in 75. Origingally from Buffalo, NY, Tonawanda is a suburb. Found this forum when I googled E.L.Sweet & Son to find out about the mold, (it still works like new)

catfishfever

toadfrog said:
I may have a couple molds laying around if you are in the market.

Thanks for the offer, I don't really collect these things, the only reason I bought this one is it is some thing that'll work good when drifting. Plus it was cheap, and from close to my home town, Buffalo, NY, I left there in 53.

toadfrog

Then we have something in common I have a friend in Buffalo . I don't collect either. I just had some sinker molds. Seems the only thing I collect is stuff the kids keep storing here.

JSC

"Seems the only thing I collect is stuff the kids keep storing here"

I thought I was the only one who had that problem .. they take out 1 thing bring in 3 ..

JSC

LedHed said:
Lead Mold selecton from the E L Sweet & Son no. 7 catalog. Checkout the phone number. Don't see a date - no zip - looks late 40s.

I grew up in Tonawanda leaving when I started College in 1969. I remember old man Sweet very well. Besides the molds, he had a sporting goods store where he sold hunting and fishing stuff. My dad bought my first shotgun there - an Ithaca featherweight pump gun in 12 gauge. A buddy and I used to trap muskrats in Two Mile Creek and bought all our trapping stuff there too. Since I was on the high school rifle club and varsity rifle team, I often bought my ammo there.

I seem to remember old man Sweet got into trouble for possessing a full auto Thompson without the federal permit. I suppose that would have put him out of business but I'm not sure of that.

P. S. I seem to remember our phone number was Ludlow3- 6808 back in the 50's?

That was a different time. School rifle teams were common then and the one thing I truly liked about school. Carried my target rifle to school and back home every day. Now you can't even bring a firearm near a school.

I wouldn't care much to go back and live those days over but I do miss the people and the freedoms we had.

JSC

"an Ithaca featherweight pump gun in 12 gauge"

My favorite ... used 1 a cousin had but never got me one.

Thanx for the Memories Guys

Uncle Grump

Had a Ithaca 37 in 12 ga for a while myself many years ago, got a sweetheart deal on it when I bought it - $75.00. Traded it on a Remington 1100 which I still have.

Bought a 37 in 16ga (still have it) for my son's when they started hunting. It's got some wear and tear (finish on the barrel), but it is mechanicly sound. Has a Poly choke on it. Still miss the 12 though....

UG

Back