Dyed some feathers

Fatman

What did you use for dyes?? and hopefully whatever you used you used white vinegar to set the color!! Other than that they look good

Jig Man

Blue works good here.... Gonna have ta learn how ta do that some day. Good bou is gettin harder and harder to find. But I am blessed with some good turkey hunting!

AllenOK

Just what I learned about dying with Koolaid over on FAOL.  I used 3 cups of water, 3 packages of Blue Raspberry Lemonade Koolaid.  Yes, I did put some white vinegar in it.

JigMan, I ended up buying a package of white marabou several weeks ago, and dyed it Royal Blue.  Haven't been able to find a package of decent marabou in that shade, so I dyed it up myself.

Here's what I tied with that stuff:

View attachment 6

I did those for a buddy that swears by Blue and White in his area.

Now, all those feathers I dyed in the first pic, just some junky grizzly hackle, some Guinea hackle, and a section of white ostrich plume, are all going into something special.  I just got done tying up four of them tonight, have two more to do.  I can't wait to fish one; they're intended for Steelhead.

Attachments

• 20160227BlueWhiteMarabouSkunks.JPG
    20160227BlueWhiteMarabouSkunks.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 97

duffy

Those are really nice! Never tried anything blue around here to see how it works but maybe the Koolaid will give them an irresistible flavor/scent.

toadfrog

Good looking jigs . Bet you already know blue and white are Hudson lake colors here in the land of muddy water.

Fatman

Your well on your way buddy!! I learned a lot about dyeing from a bunch of folks. Started with the kool-aid and PAS Easter egg dye then went to RIT and then Veniards dye which is what a lot of companies use. I've also got a Flourescent Hot Pink dye from Anglers Workhop that came out great.

Do a search on dyeing feathers here on the board and you'll get a bunch of stuff that could save you some money,
time and frustration. I was really afraid of trying it but when I finally did it worked out great.

I've done feathers, some fur and some polar bear that came out really good. If you have any questions let me know I'll help you as much as I can.

AllenOK

Fatman, thanks! I know I've read many of the old threads, and have seen several people posting about dying feathers. Who is the member on this board that has the fluorescent Veniards dye and dyes mottled duck flank for the Flash Ducks?

goodtimesfishing

Great color!
My opinion is that blue is the most overlooked color. I prefer the lighter blue, your blue raspberry lemonade is the perfect blue in my opinion.

Fatman

Jungle Jim does a lot of feather dyeing - 

I'm the one who did a bunch of the Veniards in FL colors and the FL hot pink came from Anglers.  It worked really good!!!  And they did come out flourescent when tested under a black light.

Veniards flourescent dye
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]FL Green, FL Yellow, FL Red and then FL Orange.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
Fl%20colors%20under%20blacklight.jpg
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Anglers Workshop Flourescent Hot Pink [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
100_7088.jpg
[/font]

Fatman

Thanks - Most important thing I learned was make sure to have the raised letter canning jars - I had some that said they were Ball jars but they were only for crafts not high temp water!!  Almost had big trouble in the wife's counter.  It's nice not having to worry about getting so so feathers in the store or internet anymore.

Haven't been able to hunt the last few years and some real good folks send me the feathers from their ducks!

duffy

Just a goofy thought here but does it make a difference if you use regular or sugar free kool-aid or do you just whatever is cheapest?

duffy

Thx FM, and those feathers really look excellent! I have some old guinea feathers that my wife's grandpa had that I might give it a try on.

JUNGLEJIM1

Really like how those flo. flank feathers turned out FM. If you ever want to trade a bunch of flank feathers I could use some. Lately just been tying with the naturals lately, crappie been eating them up.

Back