Dubbing

BucktailJiger

Think I want to give this a try . What would be the best type to use ? Again I see there are butt loads of different types and brands . Did see a deal that has 12 different colors and you pick the type / colors for around 7.00 bucks , good deal ? Watched some jig making videos and seen this done and seen some cool results and that sparked my intrust to expand my learning and tying skills . Thanks CJ

LedHed

Sponsor
Cj - if you want to try dubbing you can make your own with yarn, lint from the dryer, carpet fibers (shag is good), anything with fur. Just cut your material up as fine as you want and twist it up.

The wax doesn't have to have a brand name either - you will pay more for that too. I use this stuff called "Sick-um" - it's a candle adhesive - works great. It never hardens and it was $2 for 1oz. I've had it for longer time then I want to tell you.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I agree... actually have never bought any real dubbing from a tying supplier in my life. ;) I use chopped up yarn, rabbit fur and craft fur the most. Some of the yarns have metallic thread mixed in them. :cool: You can also add in your own cut up krystal flash or midge flash (or any of the thin diameter flash materials) to your mix.

There are also a few different methods of using dubbing too. I have used the wax method for many many years and it is very simple and effective! One other technique i use now is the dubbing loop and have been happy with it so far. Twisting it with the loop method might hold the dub in place a little better... maybe. :rolleyes: The Loop Tech. takes a little practice but am suprised how quickly it can be done once you get the hang of it.

Posted this before, but this link has a ton of info:
http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=sbs&thread=4046&page=1

Fatman

If you really want to try it, go to a thrift store and get a coffee grinder. Fur, yarn's, some latch hook yarns - put em in and grind them up. For crappie jigs you'll want to use a dubbing loop. Chenille really is much easier to use, but they'res some you'll want dubbing. Have fun with it.

StumpHunter

O Boy!! This is a big can of worms :D I like to work with dubbing and there are lots to pick from. The guys have given you great advice. Have fun with it..

Back