Doll Flys

Hawnjigs

KISS
Anybody remember using them? I just bought some vintage Doll Flys mfg in the original Elmer Thompson facility in Knoxville TN. Altho the hooks were rusted out useless I retied what appeared to be original now banned arctic critter fur on my own jig heads Interesting material very fine fibered, curly like wool, and even yellow dyed appeared to be semi-transparent. Tested a few days ago and a 25# carp found it attractive enuf to eat it.

Fatman

I have one orginal left! and don't use it. I have some I tied up with polar bear and it dyes up really well. first is Kingfisher blue and the other orange.

Attachments

• Hand tied doll flys.JPG
    Hand tied doll flys.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Kingfisher Blue.JPG
    Kingfisher Blue.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Orange.JPG
    Orange.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 18

Hawnjigs

KISS
Have you used the dyed PB hair & if so how did it work? IMO the best use would be natural to take full advantage of the transparent translucent qualities of the material?

Been a tuff Winter out here struggling to get even a single bite in the last Fall dry drain killed inter-reservoir canal exacerbated by meatheads apparently keeping anything remotely edible that drop down from the seasonally meager res outflow regardless of minimum size regs.

That said decided to try a chartreuse 1/12 oz #2 hook head yellow PB tie jig yesterday in the canal and was pleasantly surprised with a Winter's best 4 decent smallies. Average size only around 12" but nonetheless a satisfying better n nuthin.

Do you think PB hair is unusually bite attractive compared to other tie materials?

Last edited:

Fatman

I used the dyed on some flies but not on jigs yet. But it worked better than ones with Bucktail

Hey catching anything is better than getting skunked!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Bucktail is best used for big flies or jigs, & I have no use for it. Your PB jigs look like the originals, do you have a Doll Fly head mold? Actually, your jigs look better than the originals with a fuller tie. Can understand your multi-species success with em, including the snapper. My aging brain ain't 100% no mo, but I kinda remember snagging(?) one tho not as big as yours. Got any pics?

Fatman

Don't have a Doll mold but wish I did!! I know a guy who will make a silicone mold of the one head I have but I don't want to take it apart to do it!! The ones in the pic is just ball heads. The one I latched into actually had it in his mouth!! I only wish I did cause he was big and it was one of only a handful of times I didn't have my phone with me!! I got two Ament molds on the auction site but I haven't poured them yet.

Attachments

• Ament Ball Collar.jpg
    Ament Ball Collar.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Ament Model 616.jpg
    Ament Model 616.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Ament model 6132.jpg
    Ament model 6132.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Ament oval head.jpg
    Ament oval head.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 3

Hawnjigs

KISS
Those Ament heads have a similar side view Doll profile, are they wedge shaped like the originals ? Here's a pic you've already seen of what looks like knock off Doll Fly heads with vintage original gold beak point hooks. Original authentic Thompson Doll heads hook eye position was further back towards the collar. Maybe Sonny has a Doll Fly jig head mold ?
1709855306453.png

Back