Do-It Lead Molds Plastic App

toadfrog

View attachment 2I was making some lead slabs and got to wondering if I could use This Do-It SJS-3-A mold to make a soft bite slab for pond and shallow water fishing . Hope you can tell in the pic how I weighted it internally . I crimped the wire just enough it would still go into the lead lure body I use for inline spinners . Then I crimped the body on the wire. Placed the wire form in the mold c clamped it shut . Found some tough saltwater scraps . Nuked them up and poured it into the mold . By golly if I didn't have a rubber slab . Then I took some stuffed toy eyes jammed them completely through the body (they snap together ) added a touch of supper glue . Split ring and tied treble and I was done . So here it is for grins and giggles .

Attachments

• soft bite slab.jpg
    soft bite slab.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 137

Pup

Very nice TF. :cool:

Just a ramblin' thought of mine that follows...

Have you ever made a Silver Buddy or Heddon Sonar style of bait from an old butter knife? I know that "butter blades" work for largemouth bass. Have seen evidence first hand.

toadfrog

Thanks AF
No Pup never thought about making a lure from a butter knife . But have used them for dipping blades to make tube baits.

toadfrog

Hawnjigs said:
Holy sh** that is excellent! Thought you needed an injector for 3d, especially with the hardware heat sink?
The plastic was really hot 350 + and I used a hot bullet ladle so it went in sort of injection style . A lead mold gets a lot more air than a plastic mold and there will be some flash to remove . I'll inject any others I do not many molds would have come out that good . Going to do an Ultra minnow if I can figure out how to weight it .

fishhunter775

Future Sponsor
toadfrog said:
Hawnjigs said:
Holy sh** that is excellent! Thought you needed an injector for 3d, especially with the hardware heat sink?
The plastic was really hot 350 + and I used a hot bullet ladle so it went in sort of injection style . A lead mold gets a lot more air than a plastic mold and there will be some flash to remove . I'll inject any others I do not many molds would have come out that good . Going to do an Ultra minnow if I can figure out how to weight it .

You could always weight it using lead wire on the hook.Would still be lighter than the jig head but would make it sink.

toadfrog

fishhunter775 said:
toadfrog said:
Hawnjigs said:

You could always weight it using lead wire on the hook.Would still be lighter than the jig head but would make it sink.
Was thinking that or a pinch on sinker . The reason I did this is fish seem to hang on a few seconds longer if the lure is not hard as a rock . Plus my renegade heart won't let me stick to the status quoe rules .

Back