Deadly Ducks or SBD

papaperch

Well to start off let me say I don't know squat about jigs I guess.This is not my pattern but maybe two years or so ago I seen it somewhere and tied up a couple. It may have been on here and it may have been Jungle Jims just not sure.

So the few that I tied sat on my benches storage magnet ever since. So the other day a friend wants to try his pond. For some odd reason I decided to take a couple of these with me. We both start off slow with a few bluegill then pretty soon we both dry up. So on a whim I tie one of the yellow/gold on and start to work with it. First fish I catch is about an 11 inch perch. I say about because I had left my ruler at home. Next came a couple nice crappie Then another big perch. Friend wanders over and says I didn't know I had perch in here.He has lived there for 5 years. As we stand there talking I land another nice crappie. He says I knew they were in here but didn't know they were that nice.

He " borrows " one of the silver/white pattern and starts to catch a few nice fish his self. He then tries naming the now suddenly popular jig.
I kinda like two of the names he came up with.

1. Deadly Duck
2. Simple But Deadly ( S.B.D. jig )

It is simple to tie but I don't remember where I got the tiny 1/32 oz jigs in chrome and gold finish. I though I got them from Crazy Angler but his site does not have them listed. Unless he has dropped these jigs.

Used dyed mallard flank feathers and mono thread and some flash.
Tied flash on first about 7-8 strands then added a feather to each side.
Built up nylon thread body a little. Then whip finished. Then added red thread as gills right behind head. Coat the body with glossy head glue and your done.

The silver/white and gold /yellow combo are great fish catchers for sure.The black one I haven't tested yet. For the both of us the best way to work this jig was to try and hold it still.In fact my friend overworked it at first.

Anyway if my right leg was six inches longer I would kick myself a good one for not trying these before Right now I am tying up a dozen or so of each color color and of course a few variants. I usually lean toward more action in the water jigs. But I am not going to ignore this jigs big debut. This pond is a private pond but it doesn't give up its fish very easily. But for some reason the ducks made them hungry.

JUNGLEJIM1

papa, it's a custom mold that crazy made for me a few years back. Afterwards I sent some heads out and had them gold and nickel plated. Even had some of those black nickel plated. The little ducks don't have much action but they sure catch fish. You probably got the heads from me, little 1/64 minnow.

papaperch

OK thanks Jim. Seemed to me you were involved somehow but it was so long ago. Do you tie something similar to these ? Like I said I liked how somebody's looked.
I must have tried them in the tank and when I didn't see a whole lot of action. I figured they were cold weather jigs at best.

I did a quick inventory on how many of these I got left. Not many was the answer. So I am hoping I can purchase some more coated heads somewhere. This one little trip has me convinced. I do have some other coated round heads both gold and nickel. I guess those would work too on this pattern.

I was lucky enough to get some of Bobs custom molds before he quit doing them.

JUNGLEJIM1

I've tied these before with mallard flank so you might have seen them from one of my posts. I'll see how many plated heads of these that I have left. I haven't tied them for awhile, have to use the old one's first. It doesn't matter if they are plated heads or painted, you tie some up with flank feathers and you will catch fish. I tie them up to a #2 sickle and catch crappie as well as other fish on them. They are killer on the 1/64 and 1/32 shad dart heads as well.

papaperch

JJ thanks for info will tie some up with the other heads you mentioned. Going to take the duckies along on nesxt night fishing trip. Weather here has really put a kabong on the lakes. Even Lake Erie is running a mudline. Looked to be about 3 miles out from shore. Before a hint of clearer water was defined. Can only imagine what it looked 3-4 days ago.

Back