Cut Your Own Zonkers

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I had posted this awhile back on another site... It's just the simple way i came up with to cut my own rabbit strips from a whole hide. I have seen the cutter that cuts multiple strips at a time, but so far i am not in that big of a rush and don't mind spending the extra time. I also like this way because i end up cutting some very thin and some wider 'magnum' size strips for different things. I have only found white & gray at my craft shop, but it is cheap!

All i do is staple one end of the hide to a piece of 2x10 lumber, hide side up. Stretch it as much as you can to the opposite end and staple that side. Do the same process for the sides.

101_0693_e.jpg

Once it is stretched tight and tacked down on the board, i use a T square to make straight lines with a pencil. I use a box cutter knife and just follow the lines but have wondered if a carpet knife may work better, not sure - yet to try it that way. The outside edges i keep and cut by hand with scissors for odds & ends ties. I also have a bag of just loose fur for dubbing on some flies i do, there is pretty much no waste.

End result:
101_0711_e.jpg

Pup

Nice article AF. :cool: Today, I purchased two skins from a large craft warehouse in Greenwood, IN. One is a greyish-black color and the other white. These cost $4.75 apiece. A nice price. :D

I have an Exacto knife, box cutter, and contact cement for gluing zonker strips together. Been looking at the double bunny pattern to determine some jig tying possibilities for bass. Hope to give this a try sometime soon.

JUNGLEJIM1

Thanks for the info AF,will be cutting some soon. Pup,I tied a few 1/8 double bunny's for bass myself on bullet heads,will try some 1/8 football heads in 1 and 2/0 next. Lot's of experimenting right now.Gonna check out action in the pool today.

I have seen somewhere that you take 5 or so razor blades and make a cutting tool. Run a rod/bolt through the middle of the razor blades with spacers between the blades for an even cut.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
jjsjigs - Are you ordering directly from wapsi? Most places i have found are much more expensive than that.

One benefit is i can make them however wide i want.... from thin up to magnum width. ;) I also have a better chance at spending some cash out of my wallet at a local craft store rather than having to explain the credit card bill to my better half! Haha!!!

Back