Custom Ice Rods

papaperch

Never could find an ice rod that had everything that I wanted on it. So About 30 years ago I started to build my own. These are more for function than appearance . Cold got me so bad I can't go fishing so next best thing I can talk about it. All rods were built with fly rod tips. Except the blue one I redid some HT microice blues. The original eyes were way to small for me. The green one passes for my heavy rod actually its an ultralight. I use it to jig my heavier stuff such as vibes , pimples etc.

Also included a pic of how I rig swedish pimples. Thats a # 8 hook on a 3" dropper.Can tip with whole minnow or a head.

red2.jpg

red1.jpg

microblue.jpg

greenH.jpg

pimp.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nice looking rods... is there an advantage to the shorter handle? All the (old!) rods i own have pretty long handles - i have made a few myself and did them with long handles just because that is what i have been using. I also have been putting an extra guide right down by the handle - use it for putting my hook on during transport - works good so far.

Will be picking your brain on some other stuff as well when i get a chance - looks like half are rigged with bobbers. Bobbers/ice corks have always been a pain for me...... i break them alot!

papaperch

Shorter handle woks better for me when using Dave Genz grip. Seems like I am able to jig so much slower when using this method. Long time ago old timer came up to me on the ice at Mosquito Lake. Asked if I was doing any good and I showed him about 1/2 dozen slab crappie I had iced. They had quit biting about as quick as they had started. There were some old holes within a few feet of me. He asked permission to fish that close to me . He replied I was sitting in his honey hole smack dab in the middle of it. Told him go ahead as I was getting ready to go hunt for the crappie that were no longer here.

he asked " you dont like big bluegill ? Told me to hang tight for a sec and then he took me to ice fishing school. where I was not catching anything he proceeded to ice bull gills one after another. He soon was up to his personal limit of 35. While he was doing this I caught NOTHING.

After he quit fishing he handed me his rod. Showed me how to hold it , how to set hook and how to work slow and I mean real S-L-O-W. After about 10 minutes of instruction I proceeded to start to ice them just like he did. Been doing it ever since.

That was years ago and that old guy has passed on. But I will be eternally grateful to him. his method seems to work best when the fish are tight lipped. I refined it a bit over the years using the system by including a Vex. Ohter than that I just do what he showed me so many years ago.

Iowabucks

papaperch said:
how to work slow and I mean real S-L-O-W.

Nice ice rods! I have been getting interested in building my own too sometime. Can you be more specific on how you work the ice rod slow? Do you just use a slow jigging action? How much do you lift the jig with this action?

Sorry for all the questions. I have quite a few times that i am out and marking plenty of fish (panfish), but they just don't seem to want to bite. Looking for some different tactics.

Thanks, Jerry.

steve r.

great lookin rods! how long? look to be 36"? good outside rod! what grade cork did you use? they look like cheap low end or really used, either way, still rods you can be proud of! x2 on working them slow, i use 1/100 oz custom tied jigs and a really sensitive spring bobber to tempt weary panfish. the slow fall really gets them! anyways... great job!

papaperch

What I mean by slow is panfish can be real negative at times. You see a lot on your flasher or fishfinder but you are getting few or no bites. By holding the rod like a pencil it gives you more precise control. You can move your fingers with more speed control than your wrist when holding the rod.

The fish will let you know when its right as they will bite or not bite. Sometimes holding it almost rock still is the key other days I lift it away from the marks on the flasher really slow. Hard to describe but could show you in a minute on the ice.

Steve R. - cork is low grade and really old and used hard. I stated my rods aren't for pretty looks. Just made for catching fish and doing it in the style I like most. They are 36" as I very seldom fish in my shelter. With the exception of the green one they are all lighter than ultra light. The " experts " keep telling me the rods don't have enough backbone. Usually after watching me ice fish for awhile though they change their opinion. like I said I built these rods for me. They all have hook heepers , really sensitive tips almost like a built in spring bobber , 36 inch length for maximizing the fun and I believe it helps on the bigger fish when I luck into one. For blanks I use the lightest weigh fly rod tips I can find.

LRB

DC....
There are alot of rodbuilders in PA....go to rodbuilding.org...post a blurb about wanting to meet rodbuilders in your area...and you will have a herd of rodbuilders on your doorstep...:)

ML~~[/i]

StumpHunter

Never ice fished but those look good. Starting to see some in store around here?? Not sure why as we don't get much ice.. Looks like a lot of fun pulling in the fish through the ice.

Back