Crawdad pattern

hhawkins

I want to tye up some crawdads jigs but don't know where to start. Can someone put a tutorial up for me to get a general idea? Thanks Ya'all!

Hawnjigs

KISS
I saw some nice craw ties posted by AtticaFish & Pup among others(sorry if I missed mentioning yours) which basically are distinguished by "claws" flaring out from both sides of the jigs.

Should not only look but act like a craw - slow crawling on the bottom interspersed with hops and rests which makes jig head selection critical. Non-tipping designs are probably best, for example a football would work better than a round head, or alternately a wide flat bottom head will also help keep the hook upright with the advantage of a slower fall. For working thru heavy cover a weedguard might be necessary.

Len

If I can find the heads I used which are actually the tail I will do a tuitorial but basically here is a materials list.....
Items from Crazy Angler Tackle...
1....Real Craw heads which are the tail
2....Real Craw Powder paint for the tail
3....Henrys Lake Chenille for the body

The rest of material listed I had on hand....
Claws=Black/Fl. Orange rabbit Strip(Zonker)
Eyes= Black 6/0 seed beads glued on 60lb. mono line
Feelers=Medium round brown rubber
To keep the claws apart I used Brown squirrel tail also from crazy angler tackle

Crawdad001.jpg

oldfox

Len said:
If I can find the heads I used which are actually the tail I will do a tuitorial but basically here is a materials list.....

To keep the claws apart I used Brown squirrel tail also from crazy angler tackle

Thats a great looking crayfish Len....one of the best I have seen. I would be interested in seeing a tutorial on it when you get a chance

toadfrog

Len said:

Crawdad001.jpg

Where did you get them heads been wanting something like that.

Len

toadfrog said:
Len said:

Crawdad001.jpg

Where did you get them heads been wanting something like that.

Heads from Crazy Angler.

http://stores.crazyanglertackle.com...ath/94372085/start/19/total/23/Categories.bok

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... oh, i do love me craws and so do the fishes. JJ1 just posted some nice looking ones recently as well. There has to be a hundred ways to make a craw jig, but i lump them all into 2 different categories: realistic & what will 'pass' for one. ;) As Hawnjigs said, in my mind it has more to do with HOW you fish it.... on the bottom slow crawling or short hops. I like using rabbit zonkers for the claw part - the rabbit hide is somewhat bouyant so it will float up a little when the jig is resting on the bottom, like a defensive posture.

I made up a tutorial for the one i have pictured - just have to write up the text for it - hopefully post it by the weekend. This one (along with Len's & Jjsjigs above) i would lump into the realistic category. I may make up a tutorial for a 'pass for craw' one as well...

101_2670_e.jpg

Len - Even though i am making up something, i would LOVE!!!!!!!!!! to see your tutorial as well!!! There are so many ways to do these... yours is very realistic and looks like it is alot less time consuming than mine. I wouldn't mind seeing 6 or 8 different tutorial examples on how to tie different versions. - Russ

jjsjigs

Banned
toadfrog,

the pic I posted does do the pattern justice. I've tweaked it to the point where the pattern looks even better. It fishes like gangbusters. We did R&D testing on it last year during a high water event. I made the pattern in flat black to make it stand out in the stained water. My prostaffer caught more cold water smallies in one day than he did the entire month of March. I make it in brown, "fall colors" of reddish orange, and a tan "molted" look. click here: RiverKing crayfish Jig

oldfox

Super looking crayfish jj, your website is great ! The enlarged photo really show the quality you put into this jig....well done

Back