Crappie report - video

StumpHunter

Here is a short video I made of my last trip in the kayak. The kayak is a Wilderness Ride 115 and I modified it so I can use my Hobie's Foot drive. A awesome kayak now!!!!
The bite was on the slow side this day and the wind was real strong @ around 20 mph, they were calling for 7 mph winds :-/
I caught 25 with most being 8 to 10'' but did catch a few 14'' fish. Was longlining 16 oz tied jigs.

[video=youtube]

GrampsJigs

I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. Long lining Crappie on lightweight jigs is a kick in the pants. Not a fan of music for backgrounds on videos, however, I did enjoy this song.

StumpHunter

GrampsJigs said:
I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. Long lining Crappie on lightweight jigs is a kick in the pants. Not a fan of music for backgrounds on videos, however, I did enjoy this song.

I understand and I like it with natural sound to but these GoPro cases are water proof and sound proof. I had another camera I used for recording but had a kayak flip over last January and lost the camera.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nice report and cool video. Amazed that you can run 6 rods like that out of a little kayak. I get tangled up sitting on shore using 2 rods sometimes!

StumpHunter

Hawnjigs said:
I get tangled up using one rod with feet on solid ground.

How did the yak flip, Stump? Was it the pedal kind?

A friend sold me a Hobie Adventure, they are 16' long and are made so you can add pontoons and a sail. Without the pontoons they are not real stable so I ordered a set of Hobie's Sidekick outriggers at $180. These makes the kayak real stable so you can use the kayak for fishing. Well last January I took it out for the first time with the outriggers installed. All went well so at midday I was going to beach the kayak and heat up some soup and take a lunch break. As I put my weight to one side of the kayak to get off the kayak the outrigger came loose from the kayak and the kayak rolled. Ends up the Brass Expansion Nut that came with the kit wasn't long enough to get a good grip to the kayak!!! I was in 3 foot of water when I started to get out and had all my cold weather gear on. Everything in the boat went into the lake so I tried to recover everything I could in a very short time. I went to the bank and stripped down to get all the wet cloths off and hung them to drip off. Luckily I had a dry box with a fire starter and got a small fire going as the outside temp was 34 degrees. I rang out my under cloths and put them back on and looked at the kayak to see what I had to do to get it where I could go back the 2 miles I was from the ramp. After studying the kayak I took a rope and tied to one side of the outrigger and took the rope under the kayak to the other side and tied it off. So I had it saddled to the kayak. I rung out the other cloths the bast I could and put them back on. I had a rain suit so I put it on over the wet cloths, put out the fire and made the coldest trip on the lake I have ever made back to the ramp!!
I lost the camera, a I-phone, a hand held camera and a tackle bag that I had to watch sink out in the deep water as the waves from the turn over pushed it out into the deep. Things happen quick, it did pay for me to have a dry box with supplies. The only thing I added since is a set of dry cloths just in case!!

You can bet I fixed the outriggers with a inside plate and stainless nuts and bolts, you would have to cut the kayak apart to get them to come out :)

davidriley

I enjoyed that. I like how you can paddle your kayak and am very impressed how you can manage all those rods. Thanks for sharing.

David

Back