Couple LMB

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hit Willard Res. this afternoon hoping to find a few panfish (b.gills or y.perch) and had no such luck! Water is crystal clear right now and only saw 1 bluegill and 1 other green sunfish the whole trip. While i had one line out trying live bait at different depths on a slip bobber, i was casting a craftfur jig/pig ties. Managed a coulpe 15" LMB that ended up making the ride home with me. :) Caught both in deep water at the farthest extent of my casts, guessing 25+ FOW and just slowly hopping and swimming the jigs along. Natural colors caught them - drk. green/brown/pearl.

From the lake - note how clear the water is!
100_4925_e.jpg

At home - ready to fillet and drink a beer:
100_4929_e.jpg

Filleted them up and into the freezer but saved out the thickest (shoulder) meat and cooked it on the grill tonight fresh. Wow............ marinated it in olive oil, lemon juice and diced garlic for about 30 minutes them coated it in italian bread crumbs mixed with paprika, salt and pepper. Then right on the grates over HOT coals. There were 4 fillets so only made 4 shoulder pieces - just about had to fight my daughter for the last bite! Best piece of fish i have had in a long while. :)

BTW - To any conservation minded bass fisherman out there...... the Ohio limit is 5 fish per day but i limit myself to only 5 fish per LAKE, per YEAR for large and smallmouth bass. It was 1 male and 1 female.

toadfrog

The area pic looks like a place I fish called horse shoe bend . Nice fish . Now all you gotta catch is somebody to cook them .

ScottV

Nice looking bass, that would make me want a beer too. Lol we don't have many clear water lakes around here. I know the fish are harder to catch in the lakes that are clear.

SaltyBuckster

Out of a cold lake I might like the bass,but while in Arizona and the water was at 80 degrees they did'nt turn me on,Ha.Good job.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Don't think they are 'spots and really only know of one small pond anywhere around here that has spotted bass - or used to anyway. Think the markings come from the very clear water, the b.gills and perch both have striking colors from here also.

I won't keep bass at all over the 15-16 in size unless they are gut hooked - bigger ones would end being smoked. The strong flavor comes through the bigger they get. Even big walleye are the same - a 30" fish just does not taste near as good as a 20".

..........a few big ol' hunks of walleye off the grill like that......... yuuhhuhuhuhuhhhuuhuhmmmmmmm!!!!!

Pup

Those are nice bass. I've always enjoyed eating a few LMB too.

Clear water + long casts + good jigs = nice fish!

Back