Could I make good money making lead boat anchors?

meltleadalot2693

I was thinking, melting my sinkers and making lead anchors to make some good money. Do you think lead anchors are worth more than sinkers and if so, should I melt my sinkers and make some?

Fatman

Where would you sell them??? You're having a problem selling sinkers and they aren't that big and don't use up that much - anchors if you could find a mold or even make one would eat up your supply - even if you switched to jigs I think you already know you'd have to be pretty competitively priced with all the others who sell.

How would you advertise - and show they're better than what's on the market already???

Back home when we went canoe fishing - we made paint can anchors where all you did was fill the empty paint can with cement and cut two wire hangers put an L bend on each of the ends and put them in and let the cement dry.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
People do not go through anchors to often. ;)

Fatman said:
...we made paint can anchors where all you did was fill the empty paint can with cement...

Have seen some cool heavy duty mesh bags made for canoes and yaks that you throw a couple rocks in before you shove off shore and use that as your anchor. Once you are done fishing you just dump out the rocks and only have the bag & rope to store away. Would make the portage back and forth to my car a little lighter. :icon14:

blt

Simple answer....no. If I was on a boat, kayak or canoe, I would want an anchor that will hook up on bottom, but be as light as possible to get the job done. I just don't see lead being the answer.

Give you an example, guys like to anchor up really close to rock jetties at the beach to fish for tautog/blackfish, they use 3-4 sections of rebar, weld them together and bend the ends at a 90 degree angle to hold position near the jetties. If they can get the anchor out, they cut it and leave it. Rebar (spelling??) is that steel rod material they use when they pour concrete.
Heck, some even use cinder blocks, cut the line when done.

I just don't see lead as a good option bud.

Fatman

Attica

That was back when I was a teenager I'm OLD now LOL. My wife keeps telling me now that I turned 50 to get my AARP card!!!!!!

Pup

I sense that you are interested in filling a niche for fishermen that is not directly related to jig tying.

Ever heard of, or thought about, pouring slab spoons? These are jigging lures that are used by bass and walleye fishermen in many states. I've read reports about slab spoon fishing in Chickamauga Lake near Chattanooga. The resulting catches of largemouth bass were outstanding in many reports.

Here's a link for you if you wish to learn more: Do-It-Yourself Slab Spoons

Radtexan

Pup said:
I sense that you are interested in filling a niche for fishermen that is not directly related to jig tying.

Ever heard of, or thought about, pouring slab spoons? These are jigging lures that are used by bass and walleye fishermen in many states.
:t-up:

Dont forget about them crazy striper and white bass guy's too...

That is some great advice for anyone who loves melting and pouring as you,,,Gives you a chance to branch out into some painting as well...

Back