Costco spinning combo

Shoemoo

Costco gets a single spinning rod/reel combo when they stock their camping gear in the spring. Usually it's a base model Ugly Stik and a cheap reel. I have several Ugly Stiks for various purposes, but I prefer the Lite version so I've never bothered.

THIS year is different, and (I about fainted from shock) it's actually decent. The rod is a Berkley Lightning Rod IM6 6'6" ML paired with a Pflueger President reel. The model number on the rod is LR662MLS, reel is a 6930.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/rods-and-combos/rods/lightning-rod-im6
http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/products/products.php?p=12

MSRP on the two is $100, $60 for the reel, $40 for the rod. Costco's price for the combo is $65, and in my area there's an instant rebate through the 7th that brings the price down to $55. I picked one up, and while I haven't used it yet, it seems good for pitching jigs.

If you have a Costco in your area, it's worth a look.

stanger1944

Nice deal. My bass fishing rigs are with Lightening rods. I've fished them for years. One of mine is needing some work on that cork handle. Wish they still had the black handle they started out with.

Fatman

Stang

Go to the rodbuildingforum.com you'll have to register but the guys there are great and you'll find plenty of info on how to fix up that cork handle!!!!!!!!!! Although after being on the site for awhile you'll get that nagging little thought why don't I!!!!!!!!

JUST IGNORE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

For those who have the President reels how do you like them???? Have to admit it's a sharp looking reel. I'm a die hard Shimano spinning reel guy because I've never had a problem with them. So lets hear about these reels.

Shoemoo

This is my first President, but I have two Supremes (the next step up in the line) and I did read a lot of reviews before I bought one. The reviews on the Cabela's and BPS sites are overwhelmingly positive. Pflueger spinning reels are well regarded on sites like Tackle Tour. Some even call them better than Shimano in the low to mid range, a statement I personally agree with. I have never been that impressed with Shimano's under $100 reels. They're OK, but other manufacturers offer more features and do this price range better IMHO.

Back