core shot no injector

toadfrog

View attachment 1I've only been doing plastics for about six months but I've learned a lot thru experimenting . I think they call this a core shot when there are two colors one inside the other. Look at the tail on this crappie reaper. The first person to guess how I did this will get some in the mail.
CLUE: I did not have a two color injector.

Attachments

• crappie reaper with core in tail..jpg
    crappie reaper with core in tail..jpg
    228 KB · Views: 88

hhawkins

Those are pretty awsome! You didn't have a straight pen or a piece of wire with color on it did you? Or maybe an eye dropper. I can't think of how, but then again I'm just starting out and have not worked with plastics except when I'm fishing.

toadfrog

Hey Heather , close enough you win! As we all know you add color to plastic. Up until now the only way to define the color to specific parts of the body was to pour or inject it seperately. Since color is added to heated plastic I deduced that it could be done any time while the plastic was hot for instance in the mold. I took a tooth pick barly dipped it in the plastic dye , drew a light line in each cavity of one side of the mold then I closed it and shot the bait . P.M. your address I'll send you some plastics.

Nice effect. Does it pick up all the color from the mold or is there a residue left over? You might be able to pour in the grove one color and then close it and shoot the mold. I did my 6 inch rattles snakes that way and it turned out good.

toadfrog

There is residue left. It cleans easily with mineral oil . Much to my woe I can't seem to make the effect work with larger molds or open pour. I think the mold is going to have to be warm and the plastic is going to have to be at its maximum heat. If that dosen't work it means I just got lucky once.

What if you use a small diameter wire in from the bottom of the tail. Dip the wire into the color you want like a hand dipped tube. Then place the wire in the mold and shoot it. Then slide the wire out when it cools. It would give it a semi hollow tail that would trap air as a bonus.

toadfrog

Might try the pin /wire thing but I think it will settle to the outside and just leave a groove. Which could be an advantage if the tail was split.

I would try a wire from a old spinner bait if you have one to cut. You may be surprised, if you have a round tip where the plastic drips off, it may lift when the plastic runs into that area. I theorize that the pressure will fill the area not leaving a groove. As long as the core is dark and the main bait color is light you should not notice.

toadfrog

I have spools of wire several sizes and numerous other things My big draw back is time. If I had just a table top drill/mill I could go really nuts. May be able to get one this year. Hope to get into the man cave tonight. Got 5 new/different molds to play with plus this project. Try to keep something posted. Every time I hit veiw new posts and it comes up 0 , I just want scream ARRRGH ! I'm that addicted.

Back