Copying a bobber mod

Fatman

Got this bobber in a swap box and with the bag I found at the flea market this weekend I decided to set up a few.

Swap box bobber
100_5653.jpg

I have the crane swivels and the heat shrink tubing all set up and ready to go except the wife was sleeping and I didn't want to wake her up by turning the heat gun on!!! I'll do it when I get home tonight
100_5654.jpg

Bkabina

Looks good so far, hope it works as good for you. I just used a cigarette lighter on the ones I made. The one from the swap box was one of the prototypes. It worked but the new ones are made more like yours. I am happy with the way they work. I was getting to many tangles just clipping a swivel to a small hole in the end of the bobber.

fish_4_all

Love to use floats like that! One thing to try when you do them is to add a couple pieces of shot or a small piece of pencil lead for weight for casting.

ModifiedFloats_zpsf386df5e.jpg

So easy to use as either a slip float or fixed float and you can add the perfect weight so that the tip goes under when a minnow hits it.

Bkabina

Yes I use a plastic bead. I use the Thill stop knots when I use braid, usually anything under 8lb. Fluor or mono I make dental floss knots. The floss slides on the line easier without cutting in.

Fatman

Glad to help - I've been meaning to do these since I first got it and always forgot to get the shrink tubing. But I do like the idea from fish!! mine have a hollow tube all the way through, so I may cut the tubing off and re-do them, or wait until I do more.

fish_4_all

Advantages, for me anyway:
Easy to add and remove anytime you want.
Large eye of the swivel allows for easy slide using it as a slip float instead of threading it through a long tube.
Can make it out of ANY pencil or other float with a rod than you can use shrink tuning on.
Switch out sizes for delicate presentations or heavy wind and long casts.
Less chafing on the line.
Add weight for species, crappie and panfish adjust float so it goes under with even slightest hit. Trout and larger fish leave as a tip up float or just use it whatever way you prefer.
I was able to make these floats at a cost of about $0.28 each.
Paint them easily before or after adding the swivel.
Make them out of twigs, dowels, quills or whatever you want.

2 downsides I have noticed once in a while are:
The float will tangle around the line once in a while.
I did actually throw a float a long ways when it came out of the shrink tubing, once.

I actually use these floats for trout, crappie, steelhead and salmon. I love being able to switch a float in about 20 seconds when I want to go deep instead of taking 5 minutes to switch and moving out of the water spooking the fish.

Back