Consumption Advisories?

Hawnjigs

KISS
I notice that some of you are regularly harvesting in quantity - are your waters free of contaminants? If not, do you follow consumption advisories? Mercury & PCB advisories at "1 meal per month" in particular seem to be very common cross country.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I DO follow the "recomendations" for the specific waters and specific species in my regulation book. Catfish and walleye are of my most concern from their large "predator" status. Other than a few rivers, most of the waters i fish are upground reservoirs. Even the bottom feeding fish in these res's look super clean. The water is drawn from (in early spring) mostly small creeks that i am sure have animal, farm and human waste involved but are large and clear inpoundments.

Who knows anymore.... some say you shouldn't drink milk because of the biotics & hormones they inject in the dairy cattle. :huh: Way i see it, we all gotta go sometime, might as well be eating and drinking something good. :D

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
If the advisories in my great state were accurate.... I'd be dead! I'll have to check again but I think the recomendation is only like once or twice a month from the rivers. Very few people worry about it here and have been eating the fish for generations.

Radtexan

My home lake Alan Henry has just come under or first advisory this spring.Mercury.....They advise adults having no more than 2- 8 oz portions per month.Whats odd is all the data they sight,came from 08 and 09...so they waited for 2 years to tell us ??????

Radtexan

Ron Don said:
Hey Rad just dont eat the mudcats... You'll be fine!;)

Funny you say that,,channel cats are the only species NOT on the advisory !!

No big deal for me,I dont usually catch enough to scare the limit :dodgy:

crappiecripplerjigs

We have advisories around my neck of the woods in creeks and rivers not for just consumption but E-Coli. Lots of zinc mining in this area years ago, a few Superfund Cleanup sites as well. The creeks are very inviting for recreation but a recent study showed extremely high levels of E-Coli from field runoff, septics, etc... Advisories are in place to not even swim in these areas. BUT... A buddy and I went to Turkey Creek after work yesterday for some wade fishing (I know sounds stupid!) Caught Largemouth up to 17", channel cat up to 18", various bluegill, rock bass, punkinseeds, and a 13" smallmouth. These fish were very healthy looking. Where the sun hit the water fish could be seen everywhere. Of course nothing was going to be eaten, but if someone didn't know of the advisories, I'm curious as to how ill one could become by eating one meal of fish from E-Coli contaminated water. Or swimming in it for that matter. Very interesting quality of fish as well. I did take a long hot shower afterwards!

Back