colors of a phantom brown

hhawkins

A friend of mine called me lastnight and asked me about a color he had rarely seen, And asked me If I could come with something, so my question is what colors make up a phantom brown?

toadfrog

If it is what I think he is refering to starting from top to bottom of the jig : use 1/3 dark brown, 1/3 light brown, 1/3 ginger. Then before you finish add a skiff of yellow or orange on the belly.

hhawkins

toadfrog said:
If it is what I think he is refering to starting from top to bottom of the jig : use 1/3 dark brown, 1/3 light brown, 1/3 ginger. Then before you finish add a skiff of yellow or orange on the belly.

I tied a few yesterday a got pretty close to your color thought. What do you think? I used 1/8 oz heads, marabou feathers and black and copper flash.
View attachment 4

Attachments

• phantom brown and pinks 002.JPG
    phantom brown and pinks 002.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 85

toadfrog

They look great on the tying and color. Might do a couple with medium brown chenille or a black and brown varigated chenille if you got it. See what the guy says. The colors blend when they get wet . So dip one take a look and adjust the feather quantity to suit. Lets you see what the fish sees . Three things are pretty sound guide lines for tying. presentation - opposing color contrast and size. Chart.- blue- orange - yellow in that order are the colors seen farthest under clear water. Just a bit of trivia.

LedHed

Sponsor
Great tyes - like em all

I goggled “phantom brown” and it referenced a dog color - apricot/black.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I like them as well! Those colors and a 1/8th head = a perfect river bass jig. Interested to know - did you friend mention what kind of fish he is planning to catch with them? I have caught a few crappie 'accidently' when using a drab brown/olive jig that was intended for smallmouth. I thought it was a fluke, but maybe i should be using the colors 'on purpose' in more crappie suited areas.....

hhawkins

AF- bass jigs, from what I understand this color combo is a old timer color around here.
LH- I don't think I want to catch dogs...LOL! Have 4 now :)

Back