Cold & crazy

hookup

Launched the kayaks this morning in the mid 30's, but the real feel was lower. Wind was moderate but still went through all the layers of clothes. We stopped about 1/2 mile down river and added some layers

Another 1/2 mile later the wind picked up good. Good news is that the wind was to our backs. Bad news is was much more than the forecasted 10 to 15. More like 30 to 40 that brought white caps on the river. This was bad because you couldn't tell the difference between a white cap and the current moving around rocks. We both wondered to our self if we should bail but neither of us said a word.

And we were so glad we didn't bail on the trip

Got to within 10' of this hawk. Pretty awesome he just looked at me and didn't move

jPhFmA0.jpg

The fish were hungry despite the cold and wind ...

mVR7FeX.jpg

uZRHIbF.jpg

mRqymm0.jpg

I5YBENf.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Looks like the wind calmed further down river. The smallies appear to be well fed and healthy. Do you notice they don't jump or fight as hard in cold water?

Critter sightings are always a bonus and that hawk likely doesn't spot many 2 legged ones in her territory. Yesterday driving across the trout river bridge to check conditions (too much bank snow) saw a bald eagle bout 30-40' up river tearing chunks out of a critter or big bird at waters edge.

hookup

As the day went on two things happen. Was behind an island blocking the wind. A very very Long Island. Second was yes, the wind did die down to what they forecasted.

I got a bunch of pix of that hawk. I'm assuming it was so cold it just said F it to me and didn't want to move.

Problem I found out with fishing in low temps is once I'm home it takes forever to remove the chill.

Back