1 lb of smoked sausage sliced thin
2 lemons
1 beer or small single serve bottle of red wine....or both
Olive oil
vegetable oil
Flour
salt and Pepper

First cook seasoned bite sized pieces of Chicken in Olive oil until cooked
through, and set aside on paper towel covered pan to drain off oil.

Next mix cream of Chicken soup, Rotel, tomato paste very thoroughly , Add a few good shots of Worcestershire sauce, a generous amout of hot sauce ( to taste) another generous amount of Tony Chachere's seasoning, Enough Kitchen Bouquet to give it a nice med dark brown coloring....squeeze the 2 lemons in to mixture, then set aside

1331951143.jpg

Add about 2 1/2 cups of Veg. oil to bottom of large pot. Add about 1 1/4 cups flour to the oil to make the roux. Cook over a very low fire, whisking continuously.. Until the roux is a rich brown coloring....To make a good roux....it should take as long as it does to drink 3 beers casually.

Once the roux is a nice color....Add the onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic to the roux.....still mixing as it cooks, until onions are translucent.

1331951004.jpg

At this point have your soup mix and stock ready to go.

Add the soup mixture, and stir...it will become a thick reddish brown blob. once mixed well....start adding the stock. Keep mixing, until you have a nice soup like consistency. You may have to add some water as well to get it right.

Add the cooked chicken, sliced mushrooms,beer or wine.. or both in to the pot along with the sliced smoked sausage.

Bring pot to a slow boil...stirring often so it does not stick.... Add more seasoning and hot sauce to taste along with the Gumbo File' ... I usually use 3-4 tablespoons, then turn down heat and let simmer until the chicken is tender and the sausage is cooked and mushrooms are tender.

Add the lump crabmeat ( careful to check for shell pieces in meat ) and the shrimp, crawfish or combo. bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.

Cook until the shrimp are done ( not over cooked and mushy ) they should still be fairly firm but white all through.

1331951075.jpg

Sometimes I will add a dozen peeled boiled eggs when I add shrimp....it is suprising how good they are in this dish.

Serve over Steamed white rice, with sweet cornbread and potato salad, and have that Gumbo File' handy to sprinkle over your Sauce Piquante.

I have used Snapping turtle instead of chicken, which makes this meal outstanding!!!

I usually make for parties or get togethers, as it feeds a number of people. A hint..... cook the day before your party....and put in refrigerator and let all the flavors blend together. Warm up before the Party.....it is ALWAYS better the next day!!!

P.S. .....it freezes well too.

Bon Apetit

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
MMMmmmMMM! I like the ole Coon Spoon!

Never had Crystal hot sauce. Good???
Tony's goes on everything round here!

This makes me want to post up my Crappie Creole recipe!

Squeakyboatcaptain

I think Crystal is the best Ronny..... I'll pick up a bottle to send to you...when you send my jigs!! LOL Cant find it in East Texas..... I usually pick it up around N.O.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
EBKS is what i would call that...... Everything But the Kitchen Sink. Take it that is a Gumbo of sorts? Dang, it makes me wish i lived down South cause that sounds delicious!!!!!!!!!!!! Spicy with chicken, sausage, craws & crab. :icon14: :icon14: :icon14:

Have never heard of Gumbo File' seasoning. What the hell is it??? Figure it must be a mix of some spices, but what?

The Tony's spice is always in our spice cabinet. Have yet to find anything that it is not good on. Put that and generic brand steak seasoning over pork chops on the grill. ;) Enough salt to put you in cardiac arrest but it is gooooooood.

Squeakyboatcaptain

Gumbo File' is dried ground sassafras leaves. it is a thickening agent and has a unique flavor of its own. It is used for gumbos, sauce piquants and other cajun dishes. It is not spicy.... just unique.
I think Tony's makes a salt-free version as well...... Figured there were too many fat conna$$e$ down this way!!! LOL

Give it a try.... its some good stuff!!!

Radtexan

AtticaFish said:
Have never heard of Gumbo File' seasoning. What the hell is it???
Sure you have..Jambalaya, a crawfish pie and file gumbo :p....[video=youtube]

Looks good Squeaky..everything gets some Tony's right ??????

crappiecripplerjigs

WOW that looks delicious! Have you ever added squash to it? I think we should have a scientific trial of how long it takes to casually drink 3 beers. Gonna have to try this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing!

Squeakyboatcaptain

I don't know on the beer really... Usually it's fairly quick for me!!! Especially if it's right after I get off the boat!
The roux however... Takes 30-45 minutes usually

Back