chenilles size ?

Jig Man

I use 3 unless it's a small jig.... 1/32 is about it for now. Maybe I will be able to go smaller with some glass!

CrappieHappy

I usually double wrap, I use size 2 on my 1/8's
I am sure others will chime. I do have some size 3 cactus, but 97% of my chenille is size 2

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I guess size two is the most versatile but I usually go for size 3 on my personal jigs. I pretty much fish 1/16 and 1/8ths and i like a bigger body on my jigs.

Shoemoo

Depends on the look you are after. The type of chenille makes a difference. Chenille is the name of the process of making the thread, not an actual material. So there's a wide variation in sizes between types. Size 3 ice and cactus chenille are larger than size 3 new age or rayon/nylon chenille.

Size 2 (some vendors call it medium) is use for most jigs, and if you want a bulkier body, you can always double wrap.

Radtexan

Yup,,,2 will take a few more wraps on 1/16 and especially 1/8 th..3 will cover better and use less if you tie alot of 1/8 th

Shoemoo

One thing to remember its you're usually wrapping over the part of the tail material that's tied to the hook shank. Some materials tie in thicker than others. For example, if you tie in a marabou tail, you end up with a fatter body than you would with a hackle tail. Also, some types of chenille compress more than others. That means you have to make more wraps to completely cover the shank. Braided chenille and crystal antron chenille don't compress down much, while candy chenille and glimmer chenille have almost no bulk and are pretty much nothing but thread.

Most types of chenille are pretty cheap. IMHO, it's best to buy a 3 or 5 yard pack for around a dollar and try out several sizes in each of the style you like.

redman

If I want the bigger body look I like to cut the tail material longer and double it back on the hook shank and then wind the chenille over the bulked up tail material. Will make the body have a larger profile.

As for me I use #2 most of the time #3 for bigger jigs(1/8 oz.) and the size 0 for the gill jigs !/80 and 1/100 oz. Do I keep a lot of chenille around Yes. But like to buy mine by the Skein. Then I very rarely run out. Check the price Fro the price of 10 packs you can almost by a Skein.

Redman

Back