Chenille-Bodied Tube Style Bait

Pup

It's fun to mimic commercially-produced soft plastic baits like crayfish, tubes, and worms with fabric and, sometimes, silicone. Here's one such bait, a bass tube, that I designed and tied the other night.

S5300004_zpsu1vy8jgj.jpg

Materials:
  • Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Worm Hook L3001GK-2/0 - black pearl
  • Hareline-Dubbin, Inc. Crazy Legs - pumpkin/olive black flake
  • Bullet Weights Rubber Grip Sinker - 1/8 ounce
  • Beadalon 7-Strand Stainless Steel Coated Beading Wire - 0.61 mm/0.024 in
  • Tulip Puffy Paint - green
  • Coats & Clark Trilobal Polyester Machine Embroidery Thread 40-wt. - chona brown
  • Hobby Lobby Baby Bee Dreamy Super Soft Yarn - chocolate

Used hemostats to bend and form the beading wire. Kept good tension on the yarn as it was triple wrapped.

hookup

Nice job Pup - throw some scent on that yarn & you'll catch a bass

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yes indeed! I have some Venom plastics that you hit on the head with that color. Those will catch fish. Black/Red and Black/Blue are the other must haves.

Pup

Thank you for your comments Everyone. :)

AF,
Have used Venom Tubes before and like them a lot. Used to tie on their jig heads too when I first got back into tying. They make good products.

HU,
Not a big user of scent, but I'll try that with one of these ties and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip.

Pup

Added a couple of olive-colored tubes to my box recently. Used Lion Brand Suede Yarn (olive) and Wapsi Sili Legs (olive/black flake) to form the bodies and tentacles. Dotted the bodies with black Tulip Puffy Paint.

S5300003_zpsgmj0jq4t.jpg

If the rain would ever end for a while, perhaps I'll field test them in the local river.

HairyMooseKnuckles

Pup said:
Added a couple of olive-colored tubes to my box recently. Used Lion Brand Suede Yarn (olive) and Wapsi Sili Legs (olive/black flake) to form the bodies and tentacles. Dotted the bodies with black Tulip Puffy Paint.

S5300003_zpsgmj0jq4t.jpg

If the rain would ever end for a while, perhaps I'll field test them in the local river.

I don't know how I missed this thread! Those look awesome. Didn't you make some jigs with puffy paint too awhile back? I remember someone doing that

Pup

Thanks for your comments HMK. :) And, yes, I've made a variety of different styles of weighted hooks and jigs using Tulip Puffy Paint in the past.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, yep, yupper..... those are kill, kill, killures! Smallies beware. Once the water settles down of course. Up... down... then UP MORE has been the river cycle here as well. We might get some fall action at normal flows?

Pup

Than you for your comments AF. :) The rise in water levels and their timing has played havoc with my fishing opportunities. I like to wade and do try to be safety first. Chocolate-colored torrents are treacherous.

JUNGLEJIM1

Great looking bait, definitely a smallie killer. Rain has been crazy here as well, about the only place you can fish is lakes but rivers should start dropping soon. No rain in the forecast the next ten days.

Back