Chenille bobbin

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I remember seeing a chenille bobbin posted awhile back on another forum - i think by crazy angler - and liked the idea. I usually buy chenille in cards and it always drives me nuts when i have it tied on a jig and hanging there when it slips out of the cut in the card... the card twirls down to the floor and i have to re-wrap the chenille back on the card. So far these work pretty well, but i need to carve myself a bunch more of the deep spools to fit the chenille on. They are not all shiny and pretty but work. Nice for weaving 2 colors together.

Made from:
Spare rod tip
Wire - from an old bottom bouncer
The wood tips on ends of wire that sit on the spool are cut golf tees :D
Spools were hand carved from wood dowels

View attachment 2

View attachment 3

Attachments

• 101_1942_e.jpg
    101_1942_e.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 101_1943_e.jpg
    101_1943_e.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 215

crappiecripplerjigs

That is the neatest thing since sliced bread. Thought I was the only one trying to catch the cards as they unwound to the floor! No more cards for me either. Genius!!

toadfrog

I've been doing a sort of regular post on tackleunderground called another nutty idea. I get comments but . Other people don't seem to want to post their nutty ideas. I started it to generate ingenuity . This deffinately qualifies . If your a member please post that. I'm running out of nutty ideas. Its similar to one I did seems like a million years ago, but better. Great job.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Well... I only ended up making a total of 4 of these and keep them loaded with black, white, silver and pearl chenille - the colors i use the most. They are very easy to work with.

Carving the deep spools is the biggest pain! I actually had tried to 're-tool' the original idea by making some metal spools from washers, threaded rods and ferrules to make even larger spools to accomadate more chenille per spool. I put it on the back burner but will dig it all back out and see if i can get it fine tuned. The 4 i have i am going to keep, but will see if i can come up with something easier to build.

jjsjigs said:
Attica - I would totally buy a few of those from you!!! Is that an option?

Fatman

Attica,

I got a guy at my local flea market who does wood turning, let me look and see if he has those cut already!!!!!! If he doesn't what size would be best?? What size hole is through the spool???

I can't drive for the next 90 days due to my health, but the wife is talking about going to the flea market tommorrow. Get me some particulars and I'll check out his booth.

Here's one someone put in a fly tying material swap box and my wife snatched it up

Width across just under 3 1/2"
Inside edge to edge 2 3/4"
From spool center to outside edge 1"
Drilled hole center 5/8"

100_1006.jpg

Fatman

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Fatman - that is a little bigger than what i have been working with, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work - i can re-tool around different specs. I know i am posting pretty late ( just got done ceaning some fish and back to business :jig: ) but if you read this, grab me half a dozen and i will gladly pay you for them!

I have a 'new' bobbin design made from the steel rods, brass fittings and wire i mentioned before. It is going to weigh in much heavier than my first try with the wood spools but i can't say for sure how it will function yet... i still need to solder the pieces together and i will post what i did. :D

Fatman

Wife's sugar was whacked so we didn't go this weekend though we're supposed to be going!!!!! Can't do much else!! I'll let you know what I find.

Fatman

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Fatman - Don't worry about it, there will be another. Sent you a PM. ;)

LH - Thanks for posting that! The spring/nut tension adjustment would help. Was starting to think that i had gone crazy and dreamt the whole thing up! Could not remember where i saw it but was pretty sure the general idea i had gotten from Robert. Even checked his site a few times thinking he might be selling them. His design is much more simple than mine. HA!

Back