Cheap spinning reels on eBay

Shoemoo

I was farting around looking at reels on eBay awhile back and happened to come across this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271816397040?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=570651627642

Yeah, it's made in China but just about every major manufacturer makes their reels there anyway. But I was curious and figured $11.27 for the DK1000 model with free shipping wasn't too much to blow if it was a lemon. It has 11 bearings and it couldn't be worse than the low end reels they sell for around the same price here in North America (which are usually complete crap thanks to low-end materials). So I bought one.

It came today, so I took it apart to check out the construction and was pleasantly surprised. The spool is aluminum, the worm gear is brass, and the shaft and gears are metal (probably steel). While I haven't had a chance to test it out on a fish yet, the drag seems smooth. It doesn't have infinite anti-reverse (the rotor will slip back a couple of degrees if you reel backward with the anti-reverse engaged) and it's not quite as smooth as my more expensive reels.

But all things considered, it was a great buy for the price. If you're buying reels for a bunch of rods for spider rigging and you want a decent reel for a low price, you could definitely do a whole lot worse.

Kdog

I bought that same reel a little over a year ago. Not bad for the price and its matched to a 5-1/2' UL

Have used it a lot in the creeks and no mechanical problems. The line roller was a bit glitchy when I got it so I took it apart and found some burrs which I polished on a 2000 grit hone. A couple rops of hot sauce and no issues after.

It smooths up after a bit of use. Mine finally got sand fleas from creek banks so I did a thorough maintenance, tear down, clean, grease and lube as apporpriate. I've been using Quantum "hot sauce" lube and grease and an sold on it. After cleaning and properly lubricating, reel became very smooth. Not as good as my Quantum PTib's, but in line with my Shimanos that I use in cold weather.

I agree, a nice reel for the price. Just wish they had spare spools available.

goodtimesfishing

Not bad looking reel for the price! The seller does .01 starting bid auctions and I see where someone got that same reel for $8.11 and free shipping a couple days ago. The reel is cheaper then the line that goes on it!lol:D

Shoemoo

No burrs on mine, though a couple of the smaller parts did have some flash I had to trim off. Nothing a few seconds with a razor blade couldn't fix. I have a Quantum PTiC I had to tear down and clean out the clutch on recently. I noticed this reel has fewer parts and is much simpler inside.

I'll try cleaning it out and replacing the grease with Hot Sauce.

arnesr

I bought a couple of these reels too. They are not bad at all for the price. They will work great for my kids to use and if they break, it's not that big of deal.

I ordered another Chinese made reel recently, which I like even better. It is called the Kastking blade. Very smooth with instant anti-reverse. The aluminum spool looks to be a copy of the Plueger Patriarch, the spools look identical, though the rest is different. It also has a carbon disc drag. I got it off Aliexpress for $30 shipped (works like eBay's buy it now). This reel feels like a $100+ reel. I also picked up a spare spool for $8.50. The knob you screw the reversible handle on is plastic, as is the front drag knob, which is the only parts that feel cheap to me, but I don't think either of these would cause the reel to fail. It took 10 days to arrive from China to Wisconsin, not bad.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kast...ning-Fishing-Reel-Blade-4000/32228810649.html

Airstreamfield

Has anyone tried a baitcaster? I've been dying to try one but I am afraid...even though it's just 20$. Once I get another job I am going to try one I think.

Pepop

I just ordered a 1000 & a 2000 for comparison & just to see for myself. I hope mine don't require a tear down &, well, anything! I honestly can mess up an anvil! :huh: So, we'll see.

arnesr

Airstreamfield said:
Has anyone tried a baitcaster? I've been dying to try one but I am afraid...even though it's just 20$. Once I get another job I am going to try one I think.

Let us know if you order one and your impressions once you get it. It's interesting to see the quality that is coming out of China these days.

Kdog

I have 2 bait casters coming for a test run. Do not know how long its going to take for them to arrive. But I have some rods to match them with so will do some playing. When I started looking for bait casters everything I liked was a either right handed or way out of my budget. I still have a few that I am looking for but I hope the imports will not be a waste of money.

I just received 2 new spinning reels that are earmarked for creek fishing. I ordered 2 reels one came with a wooden handle, the other came with a nylon handle which was shown in their pics and the only reason I selected that reel. I sent a letter and they are sending me a new reel or new crank I could not really tell what their intent was. Time will tell. Anyhow, I lubed both with hot sauce and it made them very smooth and IMO great little reels for the creeks. (I am hard on reels for creek fishing, something about slippery rocks and moving water and me wading that result in some amusing (not to me) slips, trips and falls)

Pepop. I would not worry about tearing down, Pull the crank and lube bearings with a couple drops of hot sauce and remove the screw from the roller guide and lubricate those bearings as well. amazing difference.

arnesr

Kdog, how would you rate your Chinese bait casters? I'm in the market for an inexpensive one if the compare favorably like some of the spinning reels I have from China. Would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks.

Kdog

arnesr said:
Kdog, how would you rate your Chinese bait casters?  I'm in the market for an inexpensive one if the compare favorably like some of the spinning reels I have from China.  Would appreciate some thoughts.  Thanks.

The 2 I bought worked very well annd I am now into my second season with them. I used them a bit this spring for bass casting and although I am no expert with a baitcasting reel, had very few issues. Primarily I use them for fall/winter walleye fishing with jigging raps and Blade baits. Loaded them with 30# braid and never looked back.  I disassembled, cleaned and lubed them when I received them. I am sold on quantum lubes, the hot sauce and grease are outstanding. From the factory, I felt they were a bit dry and after cleaning and lubing, felt a bit smoother and free spooling was definately improved.

A while back I cleaned them again, inspected all gears and found a few burrs which I polished and reels seem to be in good shape and ready for round 2.  Since these are IMO special duty reels, they work fine. I would buy them again if I were in the market.

These are the ones I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-1BB-6-3-...d-K8R6-/252363241993?var=&hash=item3ac2057a09

arnesr

Thanks for the review Kdog.  I ordered a different reel (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kas...-1-Bait-Casting-Fishing-Reel/32229351404.html) recently for a few dollars more.  Once it arrives, if it doesn't fit my needs I may order the one you did.  
I also ordered some of the Quantum hot sauce based on your recommendation. I haven't used it yet, but I must say the container looked bigger on Amazon when I Ordered.  I'm sure a little goes a long way, but I had pictured a bigger tube.
I have ordered a few of these reels too and am impressed with them for the price.  Smooth, instant anti-reverse, and I like the quick fold handles with the knob grips:
(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fis...inum-material-Rocker-arm-Rear/1905429114.html)
I'm planning to stash a couple of these in the trunk of my car with some telescopic reels for impromptu fishing occasions.  They can get banged up a bit and if damaged I am not out too much money.

Kdog

arnesr said:
Thanks for the review Kdog.  I ordered a different reel (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kas...-1-Bait-Casting-Fishing-Reel/32229351404.html) recently for a few dollars more.  Once it arrives, if it doesn't fit my needs I may order the one you did.  
I also ordered some of the Quantum hot sauce based on your recommendation. I haven't used it yet, but I must say the container looked bigger on Amazon when I Ordered.  I'm sure a little goes a long way, but I had pictured a bigger tube.
I have ordered a few of these reels too and am impressed with them for the price.  Smooth, instant anti-reverse, and I like the quick fold handles with the knob grips:
(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fis...inum-material-Rocker-arm-Rear/1905429114.html)
I'm planning to stash a couple of these in the trunk of my car with some telescopic reels for impromptu fishing occasions.  They can get banged up a bit and if damaged I am not out too much money.

I agree, the hot sauce containers are small. But a little goes a long way. My Initial order was 2 tubes and 2 bottles.  1 of each have reamned un-opened and are in storage.  3 years and 20 some reels for annual maintenence first tube and bottle still have lots of product left. Long time ago, I learned that its too easy to go overboard with lube and oil, especially the lube inside of reel casings. Too much greas can slow things down. Too much oil and it just gets slung off.  The hot sauce bottle has a nice needle tip which allows precise lubrication. Added plus with hot sauce is it is a nice bright red color so easy to see when you go overboard.

The biggest benefit I see with the inexpensive import reels is the fact that they are disposable without much pain. Most of them have decent drags and relatively smooth function. Biggest problem I see in most of them is the quality of bearings used is not up to par and many times they advertise nn+ bearing which thys far IMO has lead to some glitchy action. I have a couple quantums and a stradic which have me spoiled. To me its amazing to turn the crank and have no mechanical feel in your finger tips. There have been times when I had to look at the reel just to be sure it was functioning. 

I agree, the quick fold handles are great.  There is a vendor on amazon the has an extensive collection of handles/cranks and it is easy to find some quick fold cranks for retrofitting the reels. We all have our preferences and I like the "tab" type handle which many of the imports do not have. Seems like the big bulky knob is what they like to use and I cant stand using them. Simple solution.... change the handle.

arnesr

I agree the great thing about these reels at this price is that they are relatively disposable.  I had a nice Quantum reel that I busted the bail on a couple years back on a BWCA fishing trip.  When I returned, I looked online and the part was no longer made and not available, I was bummed.  I had replaced it with a relatively expensive Pflueger President.   Now, having discovered these budget reels, that is what I will take on my next canoe trip.  If it breaks, not a huge loss, but I still feel confident enough that they will perform well.  The bearings may not be identical, but I haven't noticed any glitches, and reeling is smooth.

I like the idea of swapping parts to get a custom reel, though for now I am satisfied with them as is.  I came across this thread while searching Chinese reel reviews, that talks about swapping custom spools in a baitcaster with a Chinese product and thought it was interesting:
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=67159

Back