Cause and effect jig tying- Float n Fly w/o the float

earthworm77

Even though I live in Florida, each fall I get the need to tie some Float n Fly and rabbit hair jigs. They do work down here in my crystal clear rivers.

022_zpsf0820fa0.jpg

These F+F's are tied with Damiki hooks, 1/16oz, craft hair, flash a bou

002_zpsa5db1798.jpg

These rabbit hair jigs are tied in the style of Phil Shafer who invited me to his home and taught me how to do them the "right" way.

024_zpsd59c7b91.jpg

A couple of larger F+F's to chuck in the current
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that these aren't smallies, they are river bass and are as close as I can get here in Fl.

Technique: not so Float n Fly
Rod: Dobyn's Champion 681 SF
Reel: Shimano Sahara 1000FI
Line: InvizX 6lb
Bait: 1/8oz bass colored Float n Fly jig

I was casting this jig without the float to the current breaks where all along this crystal clear river the bass stack up like cordwood. I started out sight fishing them but the bass hit them aggressively so I didn't need to sight fish, they hit them hard.

007_zps518951da.jpg

First cast, first bass

011_zps63072583.jpg

Better

010_zpsd0e25dfd.jpg

Betterrrrr

009_zps903e3c59.jpg

And lunker!

See, you can catch bass on a Float n fly w/o the float.

JSC

"I live 10 minutes from the Rainbow and the Withlacoochee, this is the Rainbow:

Those are really clear water streams ...

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Too much good looking stuff to comment on them all! The rabbit jigs have to be my favorite though. Excellent work and looks like it paid off with those catches.

Welcome to the JigCraft forum as well. Spent some time during summers of my youth nearby in Brooksville with my grandparents. Have seen some of those clear waters spring rivers... they are beautiful, but cold as heck.

earthworm77

The spring fed rivers stay 72 to 75 degrees all year long. I can fish in December or January down here and still catch good numbers of fish as long as I can bear the cold.

Back